O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

I'm not trying to diminish Cal Sr's accomplishments, he is certainly an Orioles Hall of Famer and a great asset to the organization for his decades of service. I'm just saying that there are other people like that around baseball and none of them have their numbers retired.

Cal Sr. was in the Orioles organization for 36 Years. He sculpted the Orioles Way. He helped develop three Hall of Fame players. He was Earl's go to guy in the minors. He was not Gary Kendall. And 7 is not retired.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cal Ripken Sr. spent 36 years in the Baltimore Orioles organization as a player, manager, coach, scout, and minor league instructor. Hundreds of Oriole prospects benefited under the tutelage of the man who once said, ?Don?t just practice. Practice right, and you?ll do things right in the game. Practice doesn?t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.? 1 During his time in baseball, Ripken epitomized what was known as the ?Oriole Way.? Implementation of the fundamentals of the game, hard work, and being accountable for your actions on-and-off the field are the cornerstones of this time-honored tradition. During the early 1960s, coaches at every level of the Baltimore farm system instructed their young players in these basic principles of the game. This consistent philosophy of stressing fundamentals made it easier for Oriole prospects to adjust as they advanced through the minor leagues.

Former Oriole pitching coach Ray Miller told the Associated Press, ?We always talk about the Oriole Way. Cal Ripken Sr. was the one who indoctrinated each one of us who came in.?2

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/4f1fdc5f

Cal Sr. was in the Orioles organization for 36 Years. He sculpted the Orioles Way. He helped develop three Hall of Fame players. He was Earl's go to guy in the minors. He was not Gary Kendall. And 7 is not retired.

Thanks. Sorry if my post indicated that I didn't know who Cal Sr. was or how long he was in the organization, or if it appeared that I believed that 7 was retired. Do you think it should be retired?

Thanks. Sorry if my post indicated that I didn't know who Cal Sr. was or how long he was in the organization, or if it appeared that I believed that 7 was retired. Do you think it should be retired?

I don't think it should be used. As long as Jr. is living.

I enjoyed this:

In 1960, Ripken was sent to the Fox Cities Foxes (Appleton, Wisconsin) in the Class B Northern League, where he hit .281 with 74 RBIs. Defensively, he played the outfield and catcher, posting a .990 and .972 fielding percentage at each position. In addition to his ball playing duties, Cal Sr. drove the team bus for most of the year after manager Earl Weaver fired the driver.

http://sabr.org/latest/1970-baltimore-orioles-oriole-way

So you agree with me that it has something to do with Cal Jr. being in the Orioles sphere? Because I was told I was missing the point for believing that.

I think that if it ever is used again, out of great respect to his son, it should never be while he lives.

Manager Buck Showalter said resolving the legal issues on Monday was "a prerequisite" for the Orioles signing Cabrera to a one-year deal.

"That's why it took as long as it did. It wasn't going to happen if it wasn't and that we felt comfortable with it," Showalter said.

"I think timing is everything for players a lot. We all do things that we wish we hadn't. None of us would like to have our lives judged by our worst mistake, all of us here included. But I'm hoping that Everth understands when he makes on, it's on a national stage because of what the good lord has blessed him with to have a chance to do. We maintain our maneuverability with it. He's got a club to make here.

"Just because somebody's made a mistake in their life doesn't mean they don't possess good character and good baseball character. I'm not going to walk around behind him, I'm not going to browbeat him. We'll see if he takes the opportunity he's getting here and run with it.

"He looks good. I'll tell you, he looks real good. He's been doing a lot of work, had a very diligent offseason. I think the timing's good on him."

"We like Everth's athletic ability," Duquette said. "He can play shortstop, he's an excellent basestealer and he's a really proficient switch-hitter and we're glad to have him join the team.

"Took a little while for the deal to come together. We had to resolve a couple of issues. We resolved all those issues and Everth will be good to go for the 2015 season. It's a one-year contract and we're real happy to have him.

"He's young, he's hungry, he's made the All-Star team in 2013. He can play a premium skilled defensive position. He's a switch-hitter. He's an outstanding baserunner and a premium basestealer. So he's got a lot of assets that could help the ballclub and I'm sure we will find some spots to help us win some ballgames."

"For sure, just back-to-back making mistakes," Cabrera said. "We all learn from that part and I've got my mind fresh and all that in the past is in the back (of his mind). Now I'm a good guy. I'm going to do work every single day.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/cabrera.html

Archived