Cameron Tonight!

sangell2007

Duke only tired in the MD game because they came back from a 25 point deficit to cut it to 6. Playing at that pace and coming back from that deficit would effect ANY team.

Statements like these lead me to believe that you've never played any sport at a high level.

You expend the same amount of energy to get up by 25 then to shave 19 points off a lead. Duke played hard throughout the game, Coach K said so afterwards. The comeback actually occurred when the pace slowed down. Just because your rationale makes sense doesn't mean its the case.

I could easily put a MD spin on things and say it wasn't a comeback at all, it was us maintaining our lead and just doing what was necessary to win. A logical rationale, but like your scenario, completely wrong.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think MD has a talent edge but it is not much.

That's not possible. They have identical records in both conference and non-conference games while Duke is ranked 14th by ESPN and MD's ranked 24th. MD's beaten Duke, and Duke's last reg'lar season game is at UNC. The only plausible explanation is that Duke has a serious edge in talent. C'mon Flosman - get with the program. :SuN035:

Statements like these lead me to believe that you've never played any sport at a high level.

You expend the same amount of energy to get up by 25 then to shave 19 points off a lead. Duke played hard throughout the game, Coach K said so afterwards. The comeback actually occurred when the pace slowed down. Just because your rationale makes sense doesn't mean its the case.

I could easily put a MD spin on things and say it wasn't a comeback at all, it was us maintaining our lead and just doing what was necessary to win. A logical rationale, but like your scenario, completely wrong.

What a bunch of bs. When building a lead, you are not in a desperate, frantic mode. You are when down alot.

It takes alot more out of you emotionally to come back from a huge lead.

What a bunch of bs. When building a lead, you are not in a desperate, frantic mode. You are when down alot.

It takes alot more out of you emotionally to come back from a huge lead.

I don't think it takes anymore out of a team to come back. I think to say so means players are not giving max effort from the start. I do think it is easy to break a team with a run after a comeback. But that is not from being tired it is from making the opponent see defeat is the likely outcome.

I don't think it takes anymore out of a team to come back. I think to say so means players are not giving max effort from the start. I do think it is easy to break a team with a run after a comeback. But that is not from being tired it is from making the opponent see defeat is the likely outcome.

When teams get up huge and make a big comeback, the announcers and the coach almost always talks about how they just couldn't finish it off because of all the energy they expended trying to come back.

Now, i agree that you also have to give credit for the team not giving up the lead. In the Maryland/Duke game, MD wouldn't let them get the lead under 6. They made the plays when they needed to.

So, of course there is the other side as well.

Darn, I agree with SG.:)

Building a 20 point lead is much easier on a team effort wise than coming back from 20. Usually, when a team gets up by 15-20 points they break the will of the other team along the way. They play with momentum and there is almost an easiness to it.

Coming back 20 points is much different. Your manic in your effort and the other team usually lets up for a while, but then starts to play hard again. As you begin to close the gap the team almost always takes a breathe to exhale and boom you are down 6-8 points again.

When teams get up huge and make a big comeback, the announcers and the coach almost always talks about how they just couldn't finish it off because of all the energy they expended trying to come back.

Now, i agree that you also have to give credit for the team not giving up the lead. In the Maryland/Duke game, MD wouldn't let them get the lead under 6. They made the plays when they needed to.

So, of course there is the other side as well.

I hear it and see it all the time.

Hooray, Mike Patrick calling yet another Duke game. Get ready for a slobberfest.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but Mike Patrick is phenominal. I love it when he calls MD/Duke games, and he has quite a few over the years. He seems to be right on cue emotionally with the huge plays in the game, very solid.

It's been a great first half so far, 29-28 Terps.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but Mike Patrick is phenominal. I love it when he calls MD/Duke game, and he has quite a few over the years. He seems to be right on cue emotionally with the huge plays in the game, very solid.

It's been a great first half so far, 29-28 Terps.

Blech. How, as a Maryland fan, can you listen to him call a Duke game? He slobbers Duke so much it isn't funny. Vitale gets the wrap as a Duke lover, but he is nothing next to Patrick.

Seriously, how many things are brilliant? Patrick says that as much as "the" and "and".

Archived