Lack of options in bullpen

eddie83

In options I am talking about the fact that the entire bullpen will have nobody who has options left. Whether Garcia makes it or not, this will be an issue this year. One thought about keeping Garcia is that whoever would make the team in his place, will be someone without options either more than likely. Is that one reason why maybe they will risk bringing him north? Maybe they figure if Webb makes the team they might have to let him go at some point anyway?

We all know how DD and Buck manage the 40 man roster but this will be interesting to watch. Of course if the starting rotation pitches deep into games consistently that changes everything. Will the Orioles risk sending out Flaherty or Cabrera for a couple of games and playing without a UTI for a couple of games in order to get the bullpen fresh? Will there be some "mystery" DL trips, especially for someone like Garcia if he makes it. Will Gausman or Gonzalez be sent down for 10 day stretches? One thing going in their favor is that with their off days they only really need a 5th starter 5 times through the end of May. I don't think they will keep skipping whoever the number 5 guy is but the off days should help. Teams always push the importance of starters going deep but this year looks more important than normal.

In options I am talking about the fact that the entire bullpen will have nobody who has options left. Whether Garcia makes it or not, this will be an issue this year. One thought about keeping Garcia is that whoever would make the team in his place, will be someone without options either more than likely. Is that one reason why maybe they will risk bringing him north? Maybe they figure if Webb makes the team they might have to let him go at some point anyway?

We all know how DD and Buck manage the 40 man roster but this will be interesting to watch. Of course if the starting rotation pitches deep into games consistently that changes everything. Will the Orioles risk sending out Flaherty or Cabrera for a couple of games and playing without a UTI for a couple of games in order to get the bullpen fresh? Will there be some "mystery" DL trips, especially for someone like Garcia if he makes it. Will Gausman or Gonzalez be sent down for 10 day stretches? One thing going in their favor is that with their off days they only really need a 5th starter 5 times through the end of May. I don't think they will keep skipping whoever the number 5 guy is but the off days should help. Teams always push the importance of starters going deep but this year looks more important than normal.

Injures happen.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Britton done with 4th inning. Inning ended after just two outs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> lead 2-1 in fourth.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Injures happen.

They almost lost Pearce last year because they needed an arm. Guilmet was sent up and down a ton back in May. They shuffled guys around a lot like Brach, TJ and Meek early on. They can't do that stuff this year. Gausman was sent up and down a million times, I doubt they do that to him again this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Britton done with 4th inning. Inning ended after just two outs. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> lead 2-1 in fourth.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">March 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You worried me for a second, thought it might be an injury.

They almost lost Pearce last year because they needed an arm. Guilmet was sent up and down a ton back in May. They shuffled guys around a lot like Brach, TJ and Meek early on. They can't do that stuff this year. Gausman was sent up and down a million times, I doubt they do that to him again this year.

So the O's go where they do have options.

If Manny, Hardy, Schoop and Davis are the infield. And let's say Paredes in the 25th man. They have Flaherty, Cabrera or Navarro as the UIF. All have options. So if Buck needs a reliever for a day he options a UIF. Paredes covers the infield for that day. And they bring up a reliever.

At the end of the game they send down the reliever and bring up a UIF.

Buck will figure it out.

So the O's go where they do have options.

If Manny, Hardy, Schoop and Davis are the infield. And let's say Paredes in the 25th man. They have Flaherty, Cabrera or Navarro as the UIF. All have options. So if Buck needs a reliever for a day he options a UIF. Paredes covers the infield for that day. And they bring up a reliever.

At the end of the game they send down the reliever and bring up a UIF.

Buck will figure it out.

In your scenario, Lough is not on the team?

I do think that they'll have to use the infielder with options to move extra relievers. Or, less ideally, if The 6th starter is on the roster they could move Gausman or Gonzalez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think that they'll have to use the infielder with options to move extra relievers. Or, less ideally, if The 6th starter is on the roster they could move Gausman or Gonzalez.

I was thinking the same thing.

I am sure that is part of the evaluation between Paredes and Lough.

I am sure that is part of the evaluation between Paredes and Lough.

I just don't see how Buck will trust Paredes with his defense. Lough should be kept as much as any reason for depth for next year with guys like DeAza and Pearce as free agents.

Archived