Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Tim Melville

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

7. Tim Melville {High School RHSP} (18). Melville may be the best pitching prospect in the entire draft. If he continues to progress in his senior year then he will be in line for consideration among the top choices in the upcoming 2008 draft. He stands an impressive 6' 5 and has an athletic 205 lbs frame. Melville's junior campaign had/has scouts buzzing. He tossed 63 innings for his H.S. team, giving up 33 hits, 21 walks and striking out 117 while posting a 0.89 ERA.

Melville would have ranked second, slightly behind only Rick Porcello, in a quick comparison to last year's HS pitching crop.

NL teams may be particularly fond of Melville, as he is a very good hitter as well; adding to an already impressive package. Tim is comfortable on the mound, throwing typically in the low to mid-nighties, with the occasional 97 mph fastball to punctuate an at-bat. His curveball and change are very solid secondary offerings and project along with his fastball as plus pitches. Coupled with his plus repertoire is excellent command... so it's easy to see why the scouts are all abuzz.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 88

Next up> High School C, Kyle Skipworth.

I'd say there is zero chance of us taking a H.S. pitcher, unless Most of the hitters collapse before the draft. If he were left handed, and profiled better than Porcello, maybe.

These reports are not necessarily designed to feature players we may take, but rather who are considered at this juncture the top players available for the draft.

While we agree that it would be prudent in most cases to look in another direction with the #4 pick, the O's were very high on HS pitcher Phillipe Aumont and BA at one point had us taking him last year with the #5 overall pick. My research for high first round selections has shown that HS pitchers fare very poorly from a percentage standpoint. That doesn't mean you don't consider them, but history has a way of teaching lessons, if one is so inclined to heed them.

One thing I'd add on Melville is he was born in Northern Va. He could be an O's fan, though I haven't heard that for sure. It may not mean much, but it may make it easier to sign him.

As far as Melville vs. Porcello, I've seen some that like Melville better for his command. He also should be a much eaiser sign than Porcello.

Archived