When you played, finger in or out of the glove?

scOtt

Index finger in or out of the glove?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Index finger in or out of the glove?

• In
    • Out
    • I'm old enough I played barehanded

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rocked Mizuno gloves, too. Finger out, no batting glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizuno outfield glove, finger out, batting glove under unless it was pretty hot or I was pitching. No I didn't have a second smaller glove to use when pitching.

As a kid the pinky/ring fingers were together with middle and index moved over... so all fingers were in but none were in the index finger spot. As an older player the index finger was out. I had no problem operating the glove either way but it protected the finger/hand a little more on those line shots. (I played CF and 3B).

As a kid the pinky/ring fingers were together with middle and index moved over... so all fingers were in but none were in the index finger spot. As an older player the index finger was out. I had no problem operating the glove either way but it protected the finger/hand a little more on those line shots. (I played CF and 3B).

Oh, and no batting gloves ever in the field. I have hit with 0, 1 (lower), and 2 gloves but never really had a preference.

Tried out because it looked cool, but I didn't like it. I tried the Eddie Murray batting stance one year in little league (with poor results), a Mickey Tettleton batting stance in college (with decent results) and a modified Scott McGregor pitching motion (with very nice results). But it never occurred to me to imitate anyone while fielding.

In.

Always felt I had more control over the glove that way and easier to squeeze the ball as an infielder. Honestly though it probably is because as a kid your fingers are almost too small to have out and you get comfortable playing in. I can't stand my finger out even today playing beer league softball.

In. Pinky and ring finger together as well.

When it was an open back glove, finger was out. But on a "Fastback" or "Holdster" (I think that was the Rawlings terminology), I couldn't get the finger out as I did just what you did. To this day, I'm far more more comfy with pinky and third finger in the pinky slot. I still have my glove from when I played from 12 to 18. The Brooks Robinson model circa '74. BrooksGlove.jpg

Out when playing 3B, 2B or SS, in when playing OF, C or 1B.

This, except I had the finger out when in the outfield. Also out when pitching. No batting gloves in my day. Some MLB players used golf gloves, as I recall. Still play softball, and have the finger out. I use 2 batting gloves now.

Archived