Updates on Potential First Round Draft Picks

I just wanted to let everyone know that my new draft-site is up and running... MLB-Draft.com. I hope you enjoy... you should recognize much of what I've done, as I share from that site to this one.

Again, thanks all.

Great site Greg! I am really looking forward to keeping up with it through this process.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks... :)

I sent you a PM... you get it?

No Greg, I just checked and there wasn't one in there. Please send it again if you don't mind. Again, I love the site. I was just on it for about an hour. haha. I am a web developer so if you ever need any advice/help with the site, let me know.

Greg: I like the site too. As a Nat's fan, I hope you're wrong on your mock:) I'm praying Hosmer or Smoak gets to #9. Great work though. I'm looking forward to more. Another name I'm seeing a lot is Brett Hunter of Pepperdine. He supposedly hit 100 in practice.

Web: Any word on Hicks so far? Has his season started?

Greg: I like the site too. As a Nat's fan, I hope you're wrong on your mock:) I'm praying Hosmer or Smoak gets to #9. Great work though. I'm looking forward to more. Another name I'm seeing a lot is Brett Hunter of Pepperdine. He supposedly hit 100 in practice.

Web: Any word on Hicks so far? Has his season started?

Hey Battleship. I have a little more trouble getting the high school kids stats, but I will def look into for you if that is a player you really are interested in following. I wouldn't look for Smoak or Hosmer to fall to #9 though ;) , but I know how you feel. I am prying too that Alvarez falls, but don't think he will.

Hey Battleship. I have a little more trouble getting the high school kids stats, but I will def look into for you if that is a player you really are interested in following. I wouldn't look for Smoak or Hosmer to fall to #9 though ;) , but I know how you feel. I am prying too that Alvarez falls, but don't think he will.

I think Hosmer could because of his bonus demands. If one or the other gets past the Giants I think it's a strong possibility because of the bonus requirements. One writer I talked to actually thinks both could be there at #9 because of Boras.

From the last week of action:

Pedro Alvarez will miss at least 6-weeks with a fracture in his wrist.

Brian Matusz rebounded in his second start, topping Fresno State behind an impressive line of 7 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 11 K. Matusz looked more like his "old self" and should continue to improve as the season progresses. He is still currently the top college pitcher available, though Crow (Missouri) and Thompson (UVA) are not far behind, and Murphy (UCLA) and Guillmet (Arizona) currently leading the third tier.

Also in action in the USD tourney was Aaron Crow, who was both unhittable and incredibly hittable in the same outing, posting a line of 5 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 10 K in Friday's win over Cal. Like Matusz, Crow should improve his consistency as the season progresses. He's shown enough, along with Matusz, to stay atop the list of college pitchers thus far, and still an viable option for BAL at #4.

Justin Smoak went 5-13 in three games this week (one against UNC-Ashville and two against in-state rival, Clemson). After back-to-back 1-4 performances, Smoak went 3-5 against the Tigers, including his 3rd HR of the season. Today's game against Gardner Webb was cancelled due to weather. Smoak's season line sits at an impressive .400/.531/.840, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 8 R, 2 2b.

While he still sits comfortably outside of the top 5 overall, Eric Hosmer continues to plug away, leading American Heritage to a perfect week against Coral Springs Charter, Key West and North Broward Prep (Coconut Creek, FL) 1-0, 6-3 and 11-4, respectively. Hosmer was 0-1 against Coral Springs with a BB. He picked up the save against Key West, striking out the only two batters he faced en route to squashing a 7th inning rally. At the plate, Hosmer was 1-2 with a BB and 2 R. In the final game of the week, Hosmer went 1-1 with 2 BB, 3b, 1 RBI and 2 R. Through six games, Hosmer continues to impress, posting a line of .636/.762/1.364 (yes, that's slugging, not OPS), 2 HR, 5 RBI, 9 R, 1 3B, 8 BB.

Tim Beckham updates to follow later.

Brian Matusz rebounded in his second start, topping Fresno State behind an impressive line of 7 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 11 K. Matusz looked more like his "old self" and should continue to improve as the season progresses. He is still currently the top college pitcher available, though Crow (Missouri) and Thompson (UVA) are not far behind, and Murphy (UCLA) and Guillmet (Arizona) currently leading the third tier.

Also in action in the USD tourney was Aaron Crow, who was both unhittable and incredibly hittable in the same outing, posting a line of 5 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 10 K in Friday's win over Cal. Like Matusz, Crow should improve his consistency as the season progresses. He's shown enough, along with Matusz, to stay atop the list of college pitchers thus far, and still an viable option for BAL at #4.

Justin Smoak went 5-13 in three games this week (one against UNC-Ashville and two against in-state rival, Clemson). After back-to-back 1-4 performances, Smoak went 3-5 against the Tigers, including his 3rd HR of the season. Today's game against Gardner Webb was cancelled due to weather. Smoak's season line sits at an impressive .400/.531/.840, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 8 R, 2 2b.

While he still sits comfortably outside of the top 5 overall, Eric Hosmer continues to plug away, leading American Heritage to a perfect week against Coral Springs Charter, Key West and North Broward Prep (Coconut Creek, FL) 1-0, 6-3 and 11-4, respectively. Hosmer was 0-1 against Coral Springs with a BB. He picked up the save against Key West, striking out the only two batters he faced en route to squashing a 7th inning rally. At the plate, Hosmer was 1-2 with a BB and 2 R. In the final game of the week, Hosmer went 1-1 with 2 BB, 3b, 1 RBI and 2 R. Through six games, Hosmer continues to impress, posting a line of .636/.762/1.364 (yes, that's slugging, not OPS), 2 HR, 5 RBI, 9 R, 1 3B, 8 BB.

Thanks for the updates

Pony up that cashmoney and extend your visit past 500 posts Stotle. We love you long time.

A video of Smoak going yard against Clemson.

Him and Angle played together in the Cape in 06 and I remember Matt telling me how unreal his balance and power was back then, just as a freshman. Have been following him and it'd be cool if those two were back playing with each other.

Their Cotuit team also had Kyle Russell, Kelen Kulbacki, and Smoals USC teammate Havens on it. Unreal talent.

Thanks for the updates. I really appreciate the HS stuff especially.

I know most of you want a hitter, but today's MASN broadcast only made me think it will be Matusz(if he's there) that much more. Both Buck Martinez and Andy McPhail talked about how pitching will be the key in competing with the RS and NYY. I just can't see them passing on a lefty with that kind of stuff.

The Smoak/Weiters connection is definitely interesting.

Thanks for the updates. I really appreciate the HS stuff especially.

I know most of you want a hitter, but today's MASN broadcast only made me think it will be Matusz(if he's there) that much more. Both Buck Martinez and Andy McPhail talked about how pitching will be the key in competing with the RS and NYY. I just can't see them passing on a lefty with that kind of stuff.

The Smoak/Weiters connection is definitely interesting.

Just draft the best available player. If that is a pitcher, than so be it. I think it would be very hard to pass up Alvarez, Smoak or Beckham and one of them will drop to us.

Of course if Crow drops it will be hard to pass up on him as well.

College baseball's top starting pitcher, Brian Matusz, took the mound against Cal Poly this weekend in a star-studded USD tournament (which also featured fellow top-fiver Aaron Crow and Fresno State RHP Tanner Scheppers. Matusz may not have been as sharp as Scheppers, but the Torero came away with the win backed by Matusz's 11 SO in 7 IP. He allowed jus two runs (both in the first) on 6 hits and 3 walks. He didn't spot his fastball well, relying instead on his secondary pitches (high-70s curve, high-70s change and low-80s slider) to baffle the Bulldog hitters. Matusz still figures to be the best all-around pitcher in the draft, even if he isn't the first off the board.

Aaron Crow started slowly against Cal, eventually settling in to record 10 SO in 5 IP. He was touched for 3 runs on 8 hits and 2 walks. Baseball America scout Dave Perkin reports Crow sat comfortably between 93-96 with his fastball and should good command over his 82-84 mph power curve. Crow still sits in the top five of most draft boards. While not the best overall college pitcher, his stuff is intriguing.

South Carolina dropped their first game of the week, 11-2, against Charlotte. Justin Smoak was a quiet 1-4 with 4 left on base. The 'Cocks rebounded to sweep win-less Duquesne 15-4, 10-2 and 10-2. In the opening game, Smoak knocked in 3 on a double and a sac-fly, going 1-2 with 1 R and 2 BB. Smoak was 2-4 in the second game, with 2 singles and a run scored. He concluded the series with an o-fer, going 0-3 with 2 BB and a run scored. In the first game of this week, yesterday's 2-1 extra-inning win over Presbyterian, Smoak was 2-4 with a single and his 5th double of the season. He also left 3 on base. His season line is .381/.526/.714, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 11 R, 5 2b, 11 BB. He sits comfortably in the top-5 of most draft boards.

Board flavor of the month Eric Hosmer started his weekend with a 1-5 performance against LaGrange (Georgia) -- the one hit being a three-run homer as American Heritage won comfortably, 13-4, to remain undefeated. The Patriots took on Cullman (Alabama) the following day, Hosmer did not get the start. He was hit by a pitch and stole a base in his only plate appearance -- AM rolled to a 10-0 win. In the weekends final game, the Patriots finally stumbled, dropping a 4-6 game to Stephens County (Georgia). Hosmer was 2-4 with his 4th HR of the season (a solo shot). He also threw two innings of relief, allowing 2 runs on 2 hits (one a HR) and striking out 5 of the 8 batters he faced. His current season line sits at .476/.625/1.143, 4 HR, 1 3b, 9RBI, 12 R. I think he's still below the elite of this draft class, but could continue to slowly move up the board as the season progresses.

Archived