Why Mike Wright Has Closer Potential (Update: To Start for Baltimore 5/17)

Slade-OH

I wonder if the board consensus, including myself, regarding him being a future closer wasn't a bit premature. I like his varying speeds with the FB which seems to allow him the ability to dial up added velocity when he needs it in certain counts. His secondaries look to be effective enough to work off the FB if not plus pitches, but he throws strikes with them.

Yes, it's one start, but is anyone pining for more Bud after that?

I don't think one excellent start changes anything.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think one excellent start changes anything.

That FB surprised me. I would like to see more of his slider and CH. If he ever gets into trouble with the FB command I don't see those as pitches with which he can get through an order. Maybe that's why he's had the closer tag.

I wonder if the board consensus, including myself, regarding him being a future closer wasn't a bit premature. I like his varying speeds with the FB which seems to allow him the ability to dial up added velocity when he needs it in certain counts. His secondaries look to be effective enough to work off the FB if not plus pitches, but he throws strikes with them.

I'm pining for the GOOD Bud Norris...

Today was very impressive from Wright. Today is the first outing I've ever seen him show the ability to dial it up to 97 MPH throughout an entire outing. The bullpen talk mainly stemmed from his tendency to see his velo decline by the middle innings along with getting hit around the second through the order in several of his AAA outings this year after initially dominating.

It is just one start though and important to remember the Angels have actually been the second worst hitting team in baseball versus right handed starters. That being said, I'm definitely not ruling him out as potential a workhorse mid-rotation starter with the stuff he showed today. My previous thoughts simply suggested he might fit better as a dominant late inning reliever but I've always thought he had a chance to stick in a big league rotation.

Wright just seems to have a bulldog mentality. You would expect a rookie facing major league hitters for the first time to be very cautious. Wright was really going after hitters. The O's can't afford to give away any more starts with Norris, I hope Buck gives him another start.

Great start. Especially coming after two losses. Caleb was huge too. Such an advantage to have that familiarity. Did the velo stay up because the extra days off?

I don't think it really stayed up. It generally declined, that said, he showed the ability to pitch and to dial it up when he need to. Pretty impressive outing.

I don't think it really stayed up. It generally declined, that said, he showed the ability to pitch and to dial it up when he need to. Pretty impressive outing.

He was at 94-95mph in the 1st and then down to 91 at times but he's talked about not throwing at max effort before and knowing how much velocity he needs. Not a bad idea, as it gives the hitter a difficult time tracking pitches. Add in an occasional CH at 80 and that's quite a lot to contend with.

I'm interested to see if he gets another start right away and what he can do against a better hitting team. I'm guessing Norris won't be gone from their plans so soon.

Wright just seems to have a bulldog mentality. You would expect a rookie facing major league hitters for the first time to be very cautious. Wright was really going after hitters. The O's can't afford to give away any more starts with Norris, I hope Buck gives him another start.

Norris is probably every bit the Bulldog. This guy was consistently executing and locating good pitches today. Something Norris has not shown at all this year.

I'd do this, giving Wright at least two more starts:

Decide if either Norris or Tillman can make Tuesday's start. DL the other. Call up Wilson. Starting Wednesday, Gonzo, Chen, jimenez, wright, tillman/norris, gonzo, Chen, Jiminez. Now it's Thursday's DH. Since either Norris or Tillman can be back dated to the 11th or 12, pitch them on that Thursday. You have 26 players that day. After the DH, send down one or two of Wilson Wright and McFarland to get a fresh arm if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it was bulldog mentality. Hunter and Demper stressed in the post game poise. Just that calm. I woke up late and turned it on when he had 2nd and 3rd and one out. He didn't get that deer in the headlights look. Just calm and businesslike. And the odd twist to that... When he got the K on the sick slider to end the inning, he gave a big fist pump walking off the mound. Fist pumped a couple other times after that on Ks. You could tell he was really... what's the word... almost frantic with excitement. But under the surface. He kept his composure, his poise. It was very impressive.

Archived