Chris Tillman Today 2015

Il BuonO

I do not understand the Oriole's infatuation with Tillman. He has a flat fastball, a curve he cannot control, and his change is mediocre at best.

He should have progressed into at least an average starter by now.

I also do not understand why the Oriole's press keep making him out to be the "Ace". Statistically last year he was not even as good as Chen or Gonzo. Why was so much excitement about Tillman starting on opening day? Why did he even start opening day in light of other starters having better numbers?

Seems to me that Tillman's strengths, weaknesses, limitations, issues etc. have been well discussed over the years. Yes he's been bad this year.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your join date says Aug. 2006, but this post reads as if you only just became an O's fan this season. Tillman undeniably was better than an average starter the last couple seasons, which is why he's gotten such a long rope this year. He had an ERA+ of 110 and 114 the last two seasons, with over 200 innings pitched each time. (He also was well above average in a shortened season in 2012, with a 2.93 ERA and 144 ERA+). He certainly deserved the Opening Day starts the last two years.

I think you're using some revisionist history here. Tillman hasn't been good this season, but it's not as if he's never been a good pitcher.

I am aware of this, but I still do not get the whole "Orioles Ace" thing. And last year we had starters who were better than them. So I do not understand why he was given that title over them.

I am aware of this, but I still do not get the whole "Orioles Ace" thing. And last year we had starters who were better than them. So I do not understand why he was given that title over them.

What difference does it make? The pitchers weren't that far apart last year and Tillman has the longest tenure and has arguably been more durable.

Tillman should get the "Ubaldo" treatment from last year...Norris is already in the bullpen (ready as trade bait). These two need a rest to work on mechanics, though I don't think it will help Tillman. He seems very uncomfortable with repeating his delivery motion; like he can't remember how to repeat it; he seems to be trying to remember each and every part of his delivery windup but he can't seem to do it.

Tillman should get the "Ubaldo" treatment from last year...Norris is already in the bullpen (ready as trade bait). These two need a rest to work on mechanics, though I don't think it will help Tillman. He seems very uncomfortable with repeating his delivery motion; like he can't remember how to repeat it; he seems to be trying to remember each and every part of his delivery windup but he can't seem to do it.
If Tillman goes to the pen and Norris is already there, who will take Tillman's place in the rotation? We already have Gausman in for Norris. I suppose that O's management could recall Wright or Wilson.

I do think that Tillman should get the "Ubaldo Treatment." But I believe that he can receive the type of coaching that Ubaldo got last year without being taken out of the rotation. He is already learning new "tweaks" in his mechanics, and in order to do that, he does have to think about it and repeat it. Which means more bullpen sessions while he is learning. He may have seemed uncomfortable, but he wasn't awful today. He actually did pretty well for someone who is still learning.

I do think that Tillman should get the "Ubaldo Treatment." But I believe that he can receive the type of coaching that Ubaldo got last year without being taken out of the rotation. He is already learning new "tweaks" in his mechanics, and in order to do that, he does have to think about it and repeat it. Which means more bullpen sessions while he is learning. He may have seemed uncomfortable, but he wasn't awful today. He actually did pretty well for someone who is still learning.

I don't think the team can afford to have a SP "learn" his delivery while in the rotation.

I don't think the team can afford to have a SP "learn" his delivery while in the rotation.
Then what should Buck do? If Tillman is put in the pen and Norris is already there, who replaces Tillman in the rotation? I can't think of anyone. Wright? Wilson?

Chirp.

Just kidding, not like they have a better option on hand.

Yeah, boy, it's getting really hard to watch him. His HR/9 is slightly up and his BB/9 is way up with basically the same K/9. And then on top of that he seems unluckier, with very similar batted ball stats to last year but a much higher BABIP. He's due to improve just because of luck but, despite the great pitching environment we are in, where even the ballboy has 10 K/9, he is having a hard time throwing strikes.

Would like to see his batted ball stats by count. I bet he's getting behind and then throwing that fat, flat fastball.

But like you said, who's a better option? There's not much behind Gausman.

Archived