The Defense Thread, 2015

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geez look at that Cain line. .24 first step 21.2 MPH and a .997 efficiency.

One thing I came to realize after watching a few plays on the Statcast site after my previous post: some of the variables depend on what kind of play it is. For example, the top speed you reach on a long run to the fence may be different than the top speed you reach on a straight sideways move like on Jones' play last night. So, it's really hard to compare the data from plays without knowing more. It certainly requires a much deeper analysis than I'm capable of.

One thing I came to realize after watching a few plays on the Statcast site after my previous post: some of the variables depend on what kind of play it is. For example, the top speed you reach on a long run to the fence may be different than the top speed you reach on a straight sideways move like on Jones' play last night. So, it's really hard to compare the data from plays without knowing more. It certainly requires a much deeper analysis than I'm capable of.

Sure but those are some pretty impressive numbers right there. To run an almost perfect route at over 21 MPH?

O's are tied with Tampa Bay for fewest errors in the AL (they have more games played however).

Not that that proves that we're amazing or anything, but it's certainly better to be towards the top of that list than the bottom.

Was anyone else surprised by Travis Snider's play? I didn't expect him to get to the ball that fast, get rid of the ball so quickly, or make such a strong and accurate throw. That was a play I had no idea he was capable of making.

Was anyone else surprised by Travis Snider's play? I didn't expect him to get to the ball that fast, get rid of the ball so quickly, or make such a strong and accurate throw. That was a play I had no idea he was capable of making.

I think AJ was surprised early on, when he went to the Gap and almost ran into Snider, wasn't expecting his OF covering that kind of ground.

How would you know? He may run faster if he doesn't have to track the ball. What are his times to first base?

No, my point is only that 18.3 mph was his top speed on that play, not his average speed. A guy who runs a 4.47 40 yard dash isn't running the same speed the whole time. I'd guess that to run that time, you have to run well over 20 mph at top speed because the first few steps are slower.

No, my point is only that 18.3 mph was his top speed on that play, not his average speed. A guy who runs a 4.47 40 yard dash isn't running the same speed the whole time. I'd guess that to run that time, you have to run well over 20 mph at top speed because the first few steps are slower.
I believe world class sprinters accelerate for up to the first 40 yards and then begin to slow down. I think that is the reason they time at 40 yards in many sports. People can't really run faster at greater or lesser distances. To put it in perspective, which is all I was trying to do, the fastest time in the 40 for a running back at the 2015 combine was 4.42 sec. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/21/8079823/2015-nfl-combine-results-40-yard-dash-running-backs So AJ is in pretty good company at least on that play.

I believe world class sprinters accelerate for up to the first 40 yards and then begin to slow down. I think that is the reason they time at 40 yards in many sports. People can't really run faster at greater or lesser distances. To put it in perspective, which is all I was trying to do, the fastest time in the 40 for a running back at the 2015 combine was 4.42 sec. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/21/8079823/2015-nfl-combine-results-40-yard-dash-running-backs So AJ is in pretty good company at least on that play.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. AJ didn't run 18.3 mph on that entire play, he ran that at his top speed on the play. So I don't think you can extrapolate that to a 40-yard dash time, since you are starting a 40-yard dash from a standing start. Maybe he could run a 4.47 40-yard dash, and maybe he couldn't, but his top speed on this play doesn't tell you one way or the other. (My guess would be that he's a little slower than a top NFL running back, but I certainly don't know that.)

FWIW, Usain Bolt's average speed in his record setting 100 meter dash was 23.35 mph, and his top speed for any 10 meter segment was 27.28 mph. The first 10 meters, his speed was only 12.09 mph.

http://datagenetics.com/blog/july32013/index.html

Archived