Two reasons to love Zach Britton

Frobby

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>@BaltimoreOrioles pitcher Zach Britton visited the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center?s pediatric oncology unit today <a href="http://t.co/hR2PJYrDLv">pic.twitter.com/hR2PJYrDLv</a></p>? JohnsHopkinsMedicine (@HopkinsMedicine) <a href="

">April 13, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is the best thing about ZB, above.

*Now.

Remember when he was a terrible fielder? Buck mentioned how much he's improved in his press conference last night. I recall Buck getting on him about not defending his position a few years ago. He looks great now.

Yep, it's something that Buck really drills into his pitchers

Buck deserves a ton of credit for this. I've rarely seen a team where the pitchers field so uniformly well. Of course they make mistakes from time to time, but compared to most teams, they're spectacular.

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. YANKEES, 5/09)

Another good game for Zachary.

It looked like we probably wouldn't need him today, but we did.

Excellent job covering first base to beat the speedy Brett Gardner to the bag to end the game, and douse the Yankees' bid for a comeback.

1. Four batters, four ground ball outs, one save.

2. Melewski: "What did you think of facing Alex Rodriguez with 2 outs in the 9th!"

Britton: "Well, he took forever to get in the batter's box."

Yeah, no kidding! But Zach didn't screw around, he just took care of it.

Andrew who???? I'm a huge Zach Britton fan. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. MARINERS, 5/21)

After Orioles fans squirmed through the first 8 innings of today's game, Britton came in and quickly and authoritatively shut the door on the Mariners in the top of the 9th (although in fairness to Tommy Hunter, he did a good overall job in the top of the 8th considering that his defense made a couple of blunders, which pushed him to the brink before he got out of trouble.)

3 up, 3 down.

2 strikeouts, 1 ground-out.

11 Pitches (9 Strikes, 2 Balls.)

o

(vs. ASTROS, 6/04)

Britton entered the game with a runner on 1st base, one out, and the Orioles desperately clinging to a 1-run lead in the bottom of the 8th inning.

5 up, 5 down.

3 strikeouts.

17 Pitches (13 Strikes, 4 Balls.)

2.05 ERA.

1.000 WHIP.

14 Saves in 15 Chances.

o

(vs. ASTROS, 5/27)

While collecting his 12th save of the season tonight, Britton made an excellent defensive play on a come-backer to the mound.

(vs. RED SOX, 6/09)

Another nifty play on a comebacker to the mound to start the 9th inning tonight.

If that ball had gotten through, the Red Sox would have had a runner on 1st base with no outs, instead of nobody on base with one out.

Zach helped his own cause on that play.

More significantly, he entered tonight's game in the 8th inning with runners on 1st and 2nd base, and only one out (thank you, Matt Wieters.) Britton got two outs to end the Red Sox threat that inning, and then got 3 more outs in the 9th inning (while allowing 1 walk) to seal the deal.

Archived