vs. ANGELS, 5/15

OFFNY

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they are both very good, albeit in insignificant sample sizes, against the opposing pitcher!

Not trying to be dense, but is it possible that they do in fact see the pitcher better? I'm sure there is more analysis that the numbers guys (analysts) do for the front office do beyond simply small sample size of pitcher vs. batter. Stats vs. similar pitcher types, similar arm slots, the pitcher's stats vs. similar hitters, etc.

Davis and the Ks, damn.
That is at best 12th on the list of things I am worried about with this team.

We know he is going to strike out a lot. Likely not going to be a record-setting amount, but I would imagine somewhere nearing 200 on the season. Do we need to lament it every time it happens? I feel like this is a redux of Adam Jones where the game thread spent two pages complaining every time he chased one out of the zone.

Not trying to be dense, but is it possible that they do in fact see the pitcher better? I'm sure there is more analysis that the numbers guys (analysts) do for the front office do beyond simply small sample size of pitcher vs. batter. Stats vs. similar pitcher types, similar arm slots, the pitcher's stats vs. similar hitters, etc.

Yes it is possible, just statistically unlikely.

Yes there is work being done in this area. For instance some teams are stacking up on fly ball hitter to counteract the lower strike zone. (Fly ball hitters do better versus ground ball pitchers)

Archived