TT: This Mike Wright is a Big League Starter

Tony-OH

What impressed me about Wright's game was that he didn't get too amped up and overthrow and start missing his spots. He kept it calm and under control. It wasn't until he was out of the game watching Brach and Britton throw that you could see him nervously bouncing from one foot to another in the dugout, hoping they could seal his first W.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who have seen both pitchers in the minors, how does Tyler Wilson compare to Mike Wright? Does Wilson have similar stuff to Wright? Do both pitchers share the same poise? Also, how about Zach Davies? Physically, I know he is smaller. How does his stuff compare?

This is what Tony had to say...

No pitcher took bigger strides in 2014 in the organization than this former University of Virginia standout. After an offseason using a weighted ball routine, Wilson jumped his velocity from 87-89 to 90-91 with some occasional top outs in the 92-93 range. Wilson can sink and cut his fastball and has some deception that allows his fastball to play up a bit. His slider added power as well and became an average offering while his curveball and change remain below average pitches. Actually pitched better in Norfolk where he held International League batters to just a .239 average vs a .266 mark against Eastern league hitters. A work horse who led the Orioles minors with 166.2 innings pitched. Wilson is probably best suited at the back of a major league rotation though he could end up a valuable setup or long reliever. If he could develop his change up into a consistent average offering he'd have better chance of staying in the rotation. With the Orioles rotation filled for 2015, he'll need an injury to see much big league time in 2015 but in the meantime he will provide solid starting pitching depth in Norfolk.

My personal experience watching him was that they were different types of pitchers. Wright has developed into a power pitcher. Wilson will always be tier under that in velocity. I have seen Wilson be a well rounded pitcher in my two games that went to see him.

How was the trip?

Well, first of all, I was very sorry to miss

Hangout Night (though not the game itself).

Otherwise, Hilton Head was great. Mid-May is a great time to be there. Spring break crowds have left, summer crowds haven't arrived, and yet the water temperature is perfect for swimming and it's not super-hot. Best thing was, I was able to get all three of my kids (one of whom works, one of whom is in grad school, one of whom is in college) there for the week. That's getting harder and harder to organize as they get older.

Well, first of all, I was very sorry to miss

Hangout Night (though not the game itself).

Otherwise, Hilton Head was great. Mid-May is a great time to be there. Spring break crowds have left, summer crowds haven't arrived, and yet the water temperature is perfect for swimming and it's not super-hot. Best thing was, I was able to get all three of my kids (one of whom works, one of whom is in grad school, one of whom is in college) there for the week. That's getting harder and harder to organize as they get older.

I am glad you got to do that. Your ears were ringing on Friday. You were missed. And talked about.

Needs to work on not telegraphing the change and slider

The Angels announcers (Gubizca) commented on this being a potential issue. I didn't really notice to be honest but he thought was an issue on his CH. Not to nitpick such a great start but the other thing I noticed and didn't like was falling off pretty far to the first base side at times.

The Angels announcers (Gubizca) commented on this being a potential issue. I didn't really notice to be honest but he thought was an issue on his CH. Not to nitpick such a great start but the other thing I noticed and didn't like was falling off pretty far to the first base side at times.

He just didn't seem as fluid during the load. He seemed almost to shorten up his arm action to varying degrees. That is definitely fixable.

So whose debut was more impressive, Mike Wright's?

vs. LAA

7.1 IP 4 H 0 BB 6 K 0 ER

Or Chris Waters?

@ LAA

8 IP 1 H 3 BB 3 K 0 ER

Here's hoping Wright sticks around much longer and contributes much more than Chris did.

I thought about that too. But Chris Waters couldn't hit 97 MPH even in his dreams. He was a soft tosser who had great location one day. Sort of a left handed Josh Towers. Mike Wright has real stuff.

So whose debut was more impressive, Mike Wright's?

vs. LAA

7.1 IP 4 H 0 BB 6 K 0 ER

Or Chris Waters?

@ LAA

8 IP 1 H 3 BB 3 K 0 ER

Here's hoping Wright sticks around much longer and contributes much more than Chris did.

Wright by a wide margin. 6 strikeouts without a walk vs 3 of each is a huge, huge difference.

Waters' start has a FIP of about 3.50 while Wright's was about 1.50.

Wright to start in Miami

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tillman will start Thurs followed by Jimenez and Wright</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">May 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wright to start in Miami

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tillman will start Thurs followed by Jimenez and Wright</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

I like it!

Wright to start in Miami

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tillman will start Thurs followed by Jimenez and Wright</p>? Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

Maybe the GM will fire himself after that series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived