HHP: MASN/Nats/Orioles case (Inside the Courtroom)

Frobby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The MASN-Nationals dispute is never going to end. SBD details the latest delay: <a href="http://t.co/h8NmVeGdRZ">http://t.co/h8NmVeGdRZ</a></p>— John Ourand (@Ourand_SBJ) <a href="
">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The new MASN documents conversely claim Manfred "functioned not only as the exclusive gatekeeper between the parties and the RSDC panel, but as either a fourth arbitrator or even a 'super arbitrator' that controlled all communications between the parties, made procedural and substantive decisions and rulings in the arbitrators' names, and actively participated in the arbitration hearing." The discovery requests from MASN include a variety of documents related to the RSDC, particularly Manfred's communications with the team owner-led group.

Now you guys are all getting a taste of how slowly big-ticket commercial litigation moves. I'll say one thing, Peter Angelos & Co. aren't making any friends at the MLB offices, that's for sure. I think Peter is now the Al Davis of MLB.

Now you guys are all getting a taste of how slowly big-ticket commercial litigation moves. I'll say one thing, Peter Angelos & Co. aren't making any friends at the MLB offices, that's for sure. I think Peter is now the Al Davis of MLB.

Who blinks first?

• 3 weeks later...
The award actually addresses this. It says that the Bortz methodology has been a factor but not the only one.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-masn-baseball-loan-20141126-story.html

Major League Baseball compromised its impartiality in the Orioles-Washington Nationals TV rights fee dispute when it made a nearly $25 million loan to the Nationals that gave it a financial stake in the outcome, attorneys for the Orioles' television network allege in a new court filing.

The attorneys say Major League Baseball linked the 2013 loan's repayment to the "inflated proceeds" it anticipated an arbitration committee would award the Nationals in annual TV rights fees from the network, which is controlled by the Orioles but broadcasts both teams' games.

MASN says commissoner-elect Manfred influenced TV rights case

"In doing so, MLB acquired a direct financial stake in the Award and with it a powerful incentive to ensure that the (arbitration committee) would return an Award more favorable to the Nationals," the attorneys say in the document.

I'll admit I don't know all the details, but why should Angelos give in? MLB made this deal with him to allow the Expos to move to DC. Now the Expos excuse me Gnats want a bigger share? And MLB wants Angelos to give in? They both both made their bed. Now they can lay in it.

Angelos may not be making any friends in the MLB front office, but I can tell you there are a lot of owners out there that probably completely understand and respect the hell out of the situation Angelos has been put in. That's where the real power lies. I guarantee you that all of those owners don't want to see MLB help teams renig on deals like this, where one team is losing some of it area of control. It sets a scary precedent.

I'll admit I don't know all the details, but why should Angelos give in? MLB made this deal with him to allow the Expos to move to DC. Now the Expos excuse me Gnats want a bigger share? And MLB wants Angelos to give in? They both both made their bed. Now they can lay in it.

The details here are pretty important. The original deal provided that the rights fees would be reset every five years. This isn't a case where the Nats are seeking to renegotiate fees that had been set in stone forever. What is in dispute is the methodology for resetting the fees.

The reality is, MLB and the Nationals are locked in a terrible contract for everyone but the Orioles. You made your bed...lay in it. If there is one thing Angelo's is great at, it is that has one of the more powerful law firms in the country. Just like you don't want to settle you disagreement with Michael Jordan on the basketball court, you don't want to try and beat Peter in court.

I will say one thing...at least the Orioles are good now. This would a much harder conversation if we were in the days when they sucked, and no one cared.

If that were true, Jarrod Dyson and Lorenzo Cain would absolutely be Orioles, rather than Royals (throw in Billy Hamilton). Nick Markakis certainly wouldn't be an ownership favorite.

Major League Baseball compromised its impartiality in the Orioles-Washington Nationals TV rights fee dispute when it made a nearly $25 million loan to the Nationals that gave it a financial stake in the outcome, attorneys for the Orioles' television network allege in a new court filing.

I feel like the construction of that sentence is unnecessarily misleading/statement-of-facty. Couldn't one just write, "attorneys for the Oriole's television allege that MLB compromised...?"

Angelos may not be making any friends in the MLB front office, but I can tell you there are a lot of owners out there that probably completely understand and respect the hell out of the situation Angelos has been put in. That's where the real power lies. I guarantee you that all of those owners don't want to see MLB help teams renig on deals like this, where one team is losing some of it area of control. It sets a scary precedent.

First they came for the billionaire lawyer owners...

But yea, I agree. I'm sure there are many owners who like the fact that he is holding to his guns here.

Archived