Can we please get rid of this?

SteveA

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know OPACY was begun under EBW and completed under Jacobs. Not sure how much responsibility Jacobs had for it.

I just know he bought the team as an investment, didn't spend much on payroll, and was basically nonexistent as an owner.

Angelos took over and spent money. And got us to two straight ALCSs.

I know he borrowed money from the team to prop up his failing businesses and pay his mortgage. I think he lost all of them.

He could have moved the team.

He didn't.

That's worth a plaza plaque.

Not true. On Fantastic Fans night in 1988 when the team came home 1-23 the Orioles announced they were building a new ballpark in downtown. It was the last game EBW ever attended, he died later that year.

Not true. On Fantastic Fans night in 1988 when the team came home 1-23 the Orioles announced they were building a new ballpark in downtown. It was the last game EBW ever attended, he died later that year.

That doesn't mean that he couldn't have tried to move the team.

We are talking about a plaque here, not a statue.

That doesn't mean that he couldn't have tried to move the team.

We are talking about a plaque here, not a statue.

The agreement was a 25 year lease, no owner was moving the team. You don't sign an agreement for a new stadium and leave town. People were worried the Orioles might leave after the Colts did. That announcement sealed that from happening.

That being said the plaza is not that big of a deal.

The agreement was a 25 year lease, no owner was moving the team. You don't sign an agreement for a new stadium and leave town. People were worried the Orioles might leave after the Colts did. That announcement sealed that from happening.

That being said the plaza is not that big of a deal.

Since you want to pick nits.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-09-02/news/1992246162_1_stadium-authority-lease-orioles

Four years after they negotiated a lease that triggered construction of the Camden Yards ballpark, the Orioles and the Maryland Stadium Authority have completed a final version that radically changes some of the agreement's key terms.

The Orioles have agreed to play in the new ballpark for 30 years, doubling the team's 15-year commitment spelled out in a memorandum of agreement signed by the parties in May 1988.

A memorandum of agreement is not a legal document, and is not enforceable in court. In most cases, by calling a document a memorandum of agreement, the signers are showing that they don't intend to try to enforce its terms.

http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/structure/organizational-structure/understanding-writing-contracts-memoranda-agreement/main

So the agreement signed in 1988 was for 15 years not 25 and it looks not to have been sufficiently binding to keep Jacobs in Baltimore if he wanted to leave.

There are a million other people who should have a plaza named after them before Eli Jacobs. How about Cal Ripken, Sr., Elrod Hendricks, Ralph Salvon, Ernie Tyler, Pat Satarone, Tom Clancy, or Bill Hagy for starters? Jacobs is a businessman, he didn't care about baseball, he made out on the deal. What is worth remembering?

Also, there was this reference on Jacobs' Wikipedia page that made me think Jacobs is even worse than I thought:

4, ^ Eli Jacobs profile - Soylent Communications.

It's people!!!

Archived