Steve Clevenger Recalled ...... Ryan Lavarnway DFA'd

OFFNY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm happy for Clevenger. Lavarnway simply cannot hit.

Maybe. 32 PA isn't much of a test.

Either way, we are expecting Wieters back in about 10 days or so, and when that happens, this move becomes moot. Clevenger will be lucky to get 15 PA before he is sent back to Norfolk.

It would be nice if we could somehow shuffle Paredes around between DH, 2B, 1B, and a corner outfield spot. I do realize he hasn't played half of those positions in his career but a guy can dream I guess.

That way we could rotate Clevenger's bat in occasionally at DH and backup C.

Like other have said though, Wieters coming back in 10 days makes this a moot point.

Lavarnway has 333 career plate appearances and a .546 OPS to show for it. I think that's a fair sample size. But you're right, in a little over a week Wieters will be starting and Joseph will be the backup so it doesn't really matter.

I guess what matters is we have a day game tomorrow after a night game, a double header Thursday, day games on Saturday and Sunday, and another day game next Thursday after a night game. So, I'd say we'll see the backup get 4 starts in the next week, and I guess the club feels better taking our chances with Clevenger over Lavarnway.

So we let Lavarnway bat with the game on the line twice in Miami only to DFA him a few days later?

Brilliant!

Buck gave him his chance. If he'd performed in one of those situations, maybe he wouldn't be DFA'd now. I don't think the decision to DFA him now bears on the wisdom of allowing him to bat against Miami. As to that decision, I guess Buck was intent on giving Caleb Joseph the day off.

I guess what matters is we have a day game tomorrow after a night game, a double header Thursday, day games on Saturday and Sunday, and another day game next Thursday after a night game. So, I'd say we'll see the backup get 4 starts in the next week, and I guess the club feels better taking our chances with Clevenger over Lavarnway.

Good point. I'm sure Steve will be happy for the salary bump, even if nothing else comes of it.

Good insight. Also wonder if this is an audition for Clevenger for other teams. He was reportedly close to being traded before he had a minor injury earlier this season.

Archived