Steve Pearce should have become a second baseman years ago

mdbdotcom

This is somewhat a reaction to the great diving backhand stop and throw he made last night. I have no idea how his range stacks up against other 2Bs, but he looks pretty solid there, otherwise.

With his bat, I think he might have found more opportunities to play 2B earlier in his career.

Best play he has made there, as good a play as you will see by anybody in MLB. No errors. Nothing about Steve Pearce makes sense. Never know what to expect from this guy. I just hope he can get his mojo back at the plate.

He's a modern poor man's Jimmy Sheckard, who is my go-to inexplicable career guy. Did things like slug .534 as a regular, then three years later in a full season slugged .314. Once had roughly a full season with 37 walks, another year with 147. In 1898 he stole eight bases, in 1899 he stole 77. In 1899 he was hit by 18 pitches, in 1909 by just one. Had a full season with six sac hits, another with 46.

Steve has an .800 +OPS the past two weeks.

He is hitting .118 the last week. His OPS is basically controlled by 3 homers over the last 10 games or so but he has done nothing else at all besides that. The last week he is hitting .118 people keep saying he is heating up but his numbers are not showing it at all.

He's a modern poor man's Jimmy Sheckard, who is my go-to inexplicable career guy. Did things like slug .534 as a regular, then three years later in a full season slugged .314. Once had roughly a full season with 37 walks, another year with 147. In 1898 he stole eight bases, in 1899 he stole 77. In 1899 he was hit by 18 pitches, in 1909 by just one. Had a full season with six sac hits, another with 46.

Those have to be the most bipolar stats in the history of baseball.

Can you imagine being that dudes manager? Must have been both maddening and exhilarating

Was a bunch of different guys all using the same name. Maybe they were minorities, or got thrown out of the game for gambling.

Well, Peace came up with the Pirates. I know he and Neil Walker are close contemporaries, so maybe that had an effect on his development, though Walkers transition to second was pretty late in his development. He was brought up as a 3B but didn't really stick there, mostly because of Pedro Alvarez. The Pirates organization as a whole generally prefers smaller, defense first type second basemen judging from the fill ins they have brought up over the last few years when Walker was injured.

Archived