De Aza DFA

Can_of_corn

I have no agenda vs Duquette, but I think it's fair to say that his decisions with De Aza and Matusz this winter were miscalculations.

At this point I think he would agree with you as well. But it was a calculated gamble that he lost on. It happens to all GMs, but at least he's not afraid to cut his losses.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is consistent with how this organization views risks. They would rather risk money on DeAza and Matusz then give a 4th year to Cruz or Markakis.
Right they'd rather risk losing 6M than 50 M, what the combined salaries of Cruz' and Markakis' last two years would be worth.

So DD took a shot on De Aza and lost. Whatever. All that matters now is he got it right eventually and the roster balance is SO MUCH BETTER.

RF - Young

CF - Jones

LF - Snider

OF BENCH - Lough

1B - Davis

2B - Flaherty

SS - Hardy

3B - Machado

IF BENCH - Cabrera

DH/IF-OF - Pearce

Ahhhh now doesn't that just feel right?! Now that's some good rosterbation right there!

Don't forget our .950 OPS slugging DH!

At this point I think he would agree with you as well. But it was a calculated gamble that he lost on. It happens to all GMs, but at least he's not afraid to cut his losses.

That is the best thing about him, I remember a time that it would have been August before this was considered.

Interesting. I thought it was an interesting choice to tender him a contract this winter, given his overall poor performance prior to the trade last year. But I was at least somewhat hopeful that he'd be an average-plus glove in a corner and an adequate platoon bat. But he hasn't produced, even if it is just 120 PAs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch on with another team and do somewhat better.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

He had 766 OPS against RHP last year. Better than his career average. It was pretty obvious he was going to strictly platoon. Seems a bit early to give up but I don't think Buck cared much for him, he wasn't producing offensively (i thought was fine in the OF) and I guess they want to try something else.

How long did it take Andy with Atkins? I feel like as long as any GM cuts his losses before the Andy-Atkins Date, I'm good.

Atkins stopped playing regularly at the end of May (Game 50). He played in only six games in June, the last one coming on the 25th before being let go. So yea, this was much quicker.

I think of the guys on the bubble, DeAza is a guy who had the worst baseball IQ. It also seems like given the money involved and the fact he is a more established type player than say Lough, if you want to send a club a message that your tired of seeing dumb baseball plays, this was about as good as you could do without biting your own nose off to spite your face.

Right they'd rather risk losing 6M than 50 M, what the combined salaries of Cruz' and Markakis' last two years would be worth.

They were willing to go 3 years for both not 4. If that is really true I think you get my point.

Archived