It is time for bold moves

Diehard_O's_Fan

I still don't know why you think the O's will get back more in trade for Chen then the pick from the QO. Same possibly for Davis and Wieters.

Unless of course you are worried the O's don't want to spend 3-4 first round draft picks worth on the draft, which is something I have been speculating about.

I never said we could get more back and I'm not advocating selling now. DD needs to decide which way to go and if we actually do turn it around, I'm fine with the picks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said we could get more back and I'm not advocating selling now. DD needs to decide which way to go and if we actually do turn it around, I'm fine with the picks.

Sorry, I read it as something you were advocating.

I think holding onto them and going for the picks is the more likely outcome.

O'day is going to get moved if we're out of it since he won't give us a pick. I'm not sure if Chen will be worth QOing so he might get us a pick too. Someone like Davis may scare teams off of signing him if he has a pick involved so he might stick around for a while and teams may wait until June to sign him.

I don't think those picks are a sure bet. I'd rather go with prospects.

Some bold moves might be:

-tank the season and trade Chen for an MLB ready prospect.l

-trade Ubaldo while his value is high

-extend Tillman and Norris while their price is low

-trade Bundy and Snider for Justin Upton and go all-in

Not saying these are good moves, but they would be bold.

Agree with a lot of this lol

Trading Ubaldo might be smart. Can we expect any return?

I already stated I would and I think the Orioles will trade Bundy

We should definitely extend Tillman now. Been saying that for 2 years!!!! Buy low!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking about Chen, I think he'd be the most likely to get moved in a selling situation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/orioles-receiving-interest-in-wei-yin-chen-discussed-trade-with-angels.html

Though Chen only comes with one year of control, the Orioles could acquire ?a healthy return of either prospects or immediate major league help,? one talent evaluator tells Connolly.

This is from the offseason, but I'm sure we could still get a nice package for him.

Talking about Chen, I think he'd be the most likely to get moved in a selling situation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/orioles-receiving-interest-in-wei-yin-chen-discussed-trade-with-angels.html

This is from the offseason, but I'm sure we could still get a nice package for him.

During the offseason a team acquiring Chen would be able to hit him with a QO out the door.

That is no longer the case.

This reduces his trade valuable by a considerable amount.

During the offseason a team acquiring Chen would be able to hit him with a QO out the door.

That is no longer the case.

This reduces his trade valuable by a considerable amount.

Let's say the pick from a QO is worth $5M. That a rough ROM, but within an order of magnitude. 1/2 of a season of Chen is worth maybe a win, two on the outside? That's 7 to 15M. So the loss of the QO brings down his trade value by something like 25-40%.

Let's do it.

Sounds to be more value than the draft pick.

There is one issue however that we have tip-toed around abut not discussed.

Do you think the goal is to win or to just be competitive? I think the goal is to be competitive (many on here feel the same way). I am not saying one is right or one is wrong. But you do different things as a club if you want to really win versus just staying competitive.

Staying competitive probably makes more financial sense for an owner.

Let's do it.

Sounds to be more value than the draft pick.

There is one issue however that we have tip-toed around abut not discussed.

Do you think the goal is to win or to just be competitive? I think the goal is to be competitive (many on here feel the same way). I am not saying one is right or one is wrong. But you do different things as a club if you want to really win versus just staying competitive.

Staying competitive probably makes more financial sense for an owner.

What are your definitions of "really win" and "be competitive"?

You don't think the Braves would trade him?

They might be willing to do that (sell low), and even eat some contract (to whatever extent we were willing to do the same with Baldy at this point last year), but my point was simply that Kakes is not a current option for the Oze since he isn't in the organization.

They might be willing to do that (sell low), and even eat some contract (to whatever extent we were willing to do the same with Baldy at this point last year), but my point was simply that Kakes is not a current option for the Oze since he isn't in the organization.

'Twas a joke.

Although bringing back Markakis and his contract would indeed be a bold move.

Archived