Would Orioles Be Interested in Ben Zobrist? Nationals Apparently Are!

Old#5fan

I just read something (link below) where there is speculation that Nationals are interested in trading for Ben Zobrist. However, much of the article indicates he isn't really that good of a fit for them. So this made me think how he would fit in with the Orioles and I think he would be just what they need. He could fill either a permanent corner outfield spot and/or play second base until Shoop returns. He shouldn't cost that much in a trade as he is a FA again I believe after this season. To me he makes way more sense to the Orioles than to the Nationals as they have Rendon back now. Thoughts?

http://lockerdome.com/mlbnationals/7743737350587156

He's 34, having a really rough year, and would cost a prospect, so I'd probably have to say pass. It probably wouldn't be a terrible acquisition, but we already have a lot of players like him who are struggling and hoping to turn it around. I think if we are going to give up a prospect to add somebody, it should be for more of a difference maker than a guy like Zobrist.

He's 34, having a really rough year, and would cost a prospect, so I'd probably have to say pass. It probably wouldn't be a terrible acquisition, but we already have a lot of players like him who are struggling and hoping to turn it around. I think if we are going to give up a prospect to add somebody, it should be for more of a difference maker than a guy like Zobrist.

The guy has been worth 5.6,5.2,5.8 and 6.3fWAR the last 4 years. Yeah he's had a down first 100ABs this year, but you're not likely to get a lot more impact from a player than him.

The guy has been worth 5.6,5.2,5.8 and 6.3fWAR the last 4 years. Yeah he's had a down first 100ABs this year, but you're not likely to get a lot more impact from a player than him.

Yeah so it makes me think we could get him relatively cheaply and he is a proven all around good player. Am thinking maybe Flaherty or Pearce and a low level prospect may fetch him. This would also be a type of move that Imo would be equivalent to the big move that Roy Firestone was mysteriously hinting at recently... but that is just pure speculation by me!

Yeah so it makes me think we could get him relatively cheaply and he is a proven all around good player. Am thinking maybe Flaherty or Pearce and a low level prospect may fetch him.

That is not how trades work. You don't trade Flaherty/Pearce and a low-level prospect and get back a player of Ben Zobrist's caliber.

That is not how trades work. You don't trade Flaherty/Pearce and a low-level prospect and get back a player of Ben Zobrist's caliber.

I thought the Nats were just going to offer a top 100 prospect and imho Pearce and Flaherty are mostly proven utility guys and a with a top A ball prospect that doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Especially when you consider Zobrist has been out a while, is 34 years old and probably a partial year rental!

I thought the Nats were just going to offer a top 100 prospect and imho Pearce and Flaherty are mostly proven utility guys and a with a top A ball prospect that doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Especially when you consider Zobrist has been out a while, is 34 years old and probably a partial year rental!

Top 100 in all of baseball equates to around their top 5 and probably more/better. Would any team give up their top 5 prospect for Pearce/Flaherty at this point in time. I highly doubt it. The assumption is that Zobrist is back and is healthy.

If the Nats are offering a top-100 prospect, then that means the O's would have to offer Dylan Bundy or Hunter Harvey to have a comparable offer. Those are their only prospects in the top 100, IIRC.

Also, why on earth would the A's want a utility guy? Especially Pearce, who is having a horrible season and is a free agent at the end of the year? If you're going to give them a major leaguer, why not offer them someone they can use?

While I like Zobrist, would he actually have a place here? Hardy is back at SS, Schoop may be back soon, Davis/Pearce at 1B and Jones/Lough/Snider/Young/Pearce for the OF.

I don't see Zobrist sharing AB's/playing. Adding him means at least one guy gets sent down/DFA'd and multiple people are losing AB's.

T

Top 100 in all of baseball equates to around their top 5 and probably more/better. Would any team give up their top 5 prospect for Pearce/Flaherty at this point in time. I highly doubt it. The assumption is that Zobrist is back and is healthy.

Not what I proposed. I suggested either of them AND a top lower level prospect.

If the Nats are offering a top-100 prospect, then that means the O's would have to offer Dylan Bundy or Hunter Harvey to have a comparable offer. Those are their only prospects in the top 100, IIRC.

Also, why on earth would the A's want a utility guy? Especially Pearce, who is having a horrible season and is a free agent at the end of the year? If you're going to give them a major leaguer, why not offer them someone they can use?

I was thinking lowball them at first to see if they bite and if not up the ante a bit to Paredes or possibly Bundy.

I was thinking lowball them at first to see if they bite and if not up the ante a bit to Paredes or possibly Bundy.

And I'm thinking if you do that, Billy Beane stops returning your calls and instead talks to teams who are actually interested in making a fair offer. And there will be many such teams.

While I like Zobrist, would he actually have a place here? Hardy is back at SS, Schoop may be back soon, Davis/Pearce at 1B and Jones/Lough/Snider/Young/Pearce for the OF.

I don't see Zobrist sharing AB's/playing. Adding him means at least one guy gets sent down/DFA'd and multiple people are losing AB's.

Which is why I want to throw in Pearce or Flaherty in the deal as if we would land Zobrist one of them probably goes. I also think Zobrist is better corner outfielder than any of what we have now on the roster and he is an upgrade at second base in the event Shoop isn't fully recovered or struggles when he returns.

Baseball Prospectus has Sisco at 101.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25538

And I'm thinking if you do that, Billy Beane stops returning your calls and instead talks to teams who are actually interested in making a fair offer. And there will be many such teams.

I am not so sure as you are that there will be plenty of teams after him. Again he is a one year rental. But of course I could be wrong. Guess we shall see won't we?

Archived