This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

I don't know -- Yordano Ventura has underperformed his 2014 by a pretty drastic margin. Guthrie to a lesser extent, but still bad. KC's decision-making seems to be a little better with respect to THIS offseason, and their young/upside core on the positional side continues to perform (and in Moustakas's case, breakout). It's probably just a slightly better team overall that is having a much better year, production wise.

They are a good example of winning by any means. The standard says it starts in the rotation and they haven't been good at all. That pen is so important but like you said their position players have stepped up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see any other option this offseason than taking some risks on FA hitters. The pitching staff should be cheap overall with bunch of money of the books. The pen outside of Britton will be dirt cheap. They need to find another starter. They can't afford a FA at every spot on the diamond but they have nothing in the system to bridge the gap. I have thought all along I would think like most that they would try to fill the pitching staff in house with some DD specials along the way. The position core needs help. The biggest difference for NYY this year is Arod, Tex and McCann. Ellsbury and Gardner had good years last year, the bottom of their order still isn't much. We need to build around Manny, Jones, Schoop and to a lesser extent Hardy. Too many redundant hitters on this team. I like Zobrist myself. Need to mix some different types of hitters on this team. I would bring Pearce back in a platoon role.

If you need to rebuild then you don't want to add a piece like Zobrist.

If you need to rebuild then you don't want to add a piece like Zobrist.

On one hand, if the A's trade him he won't cost a pick. Just cash. On the other hand, he's 34 and has been worth less than a win this year. He isn't, and will never again be, the player he was 4-5 years ago.

Yup.

That's exactly what happened. This was a contraversial POV a few months back but as usual time and common sense are making this version of events the reality of what occurred.

I remember all the nasty arguments about how anyone who felt this way was trolling or had an agenda. Now take a look at the standings.

Who's going to argue the results of the offseason NOW?

MSK

I think plenty of people might agree that DD botched the off-season. I think suggesting that his head and heart were in Toronto and that's why he was too distracted to put together a good team is a jump that there's no evidence to back up.

Age 35 season next year, injury issues this year.

He looks more like a final piece sort of guy at this point.

Taking about more as a FA then a deal. Could play him in the OF and spell other spots. Maybe the Orioles take a similar approach to the Red Sox in 2013.

On one hand, if the A's trade him he won't cost a pick. Just cash. On the other hand, he's 34 and has been worth less than a win this year. He isn't, and will never again be, the player he was 4-5 years ago.

Play him in RF some, heck spell his body and DH him vs lefties. He shouldn't cost a lot. I don't expect this team to spend huge money but I just don't think we have the internal options.

I'm not saying anything I'm asking you a question. What teams made moves that improved the club. Still waiting for your answer. A lot of teams made moves.

And my view is, I don't really need to go through the exercise. I'm not interested in getting into a verbal tussle where I name players and you judge whether the player fits or we could get him. It's misses the obvious that there are moves to make every offseason to improve club. It also presupposes that only players traded were available -- which is false.

But just to play your game, Aoki would have helped a bit. Andrew Heaney was moved for a 1 year rental. Rob Ray was moved for shone Greene. Josh Donaldson and Bret lawriemwere exchanged - one as a left fielder. Juston upton. Kendell Graveerman,trea turner....I mean there's a ton of guys and again,thats just who we know. Would the Braves have given us something for Weiters? Seems like Chris Davis and the Pads could have been a match.....on and on.

Again....surely there was a way to improve.

Results doesn't equate to a bad plan, or a poor front office. Otherwise the Red Sox were stupid, smart, stupid, stupid over the last four seasons. With largely the same folks behind the scenes.

Now, many here think Duquette and Co were stupid/lucky, just stupid, stupid/lucky, and just stupid over the same period.

Re the sox.....is it possible they're not very good at their job and everything fell just right one year? I don't know but if things hold,they will have finished last 3 out of 4 years. you think that is bad luck?

If every player on our team would have just performed to career averages' date=' not hot streaks, nor cold ones, what do you think our record would be?[/quote']

Worse. Machado, Parades, Schoop, Joseph, Chen, Britton, Roe, O'day are all having career years this year. Norris is the only player having a really terrible year. Even Tillman, Hunter and Matusz have turned their seasons around.

This team doesn't need a back hoe in the offseason it needs a rake. But heading into next year you have a lot of holes.

2 starting pitching spots. At least 1 set up guy, probably 2. LF,RF,1B,DH. We're good at CF,3B,SS,2B and Catcher.

This team needs to sell the players we have now and try and get a SP and a OF. Combine that with what we have in the system and we're around .500. But then we're going to have to spend in FA or make trades to find a SP and 3 corner guys.

Unless he joins the Yankees apparently.

Not resigning Miller I don't care. What really set this team back was letting Cruz go. It was clear at the time, and it is clear now. It completely messed up with the offensive chemistry of this team, which was based on the long ball. It made everyone's jobs more difficult not having Cruz batting clean-up. Here's a little secret about MLB: in some cases, you need to overpay.

Archived