This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parm would be a good fit for an nl central team. Relatively small ballparks. A watered down division in a watered down league. He'd be a good get for the Reds,Cubs,Brewers and pirates. He just can't hack it in the AL and the AL east.

Hahaha. Yes, because the AL EAST sure is a juggernaut.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yes they did and this year we are suppose to be 51-44. I don't think we have played like a 51-44 team this year even though that isn't very special.

So then, would logic not say they've been playing BELOW their heads? They're capable of playing better.

Bad year by Jim Johnson, poor record in one run games. I think they were about 10-11 games under .500 in one run games the second half alone.
Jim Johnson.
Hit their pythag on the dot.

...and I still say Jim Johnson got a raw deal around here.

This year's team has a +34 run differential and they're three games under .500. It's kind of the anti-2012 team. By runs, Baltimore should be the 5th best team in the AL, better than New York and Minnesota and in the second wild card spot.

You want a team playing over its head? The Yankees are outperforming their Pythag W-L record three years running.

JTrea's POV was often misunderstood and lamented but he always had a point: the FO and Angelos simply aren't capable of putting together a long-term plan of success.

These weird little fixes might last a season or two, but there hasn't been an organizational plan for long-term contention in place since... who knows?

The Orioles need a top to bottom organizational philosophy from single-A to the MLB club to the front office that develops a mentality of winning from day one.

The Braves used to have a pitching-based organization, the Cardinals have a depth-based organization, and the successful clubs implement a strategy for success that is sustainable. That can endure the loss of stars or bad signings. That can spend money from time to time to supplement a strong core.

We aren't that organization yet.

DD has had three years to implement a team-wide plan for success and thus far it hasn't borne much (or any) fruit. We're on the verge of selling a group of popular players who got us close to the promised land of the WS without a real plan in place to move us forward.

That's sad and distressing.

People often ask me what I want to see or what I would do.

Okay:

1) Trade Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris, Parm, Reimold, Lough in packages for top 100 prospects. Release the rest of the dead weight.

2) Promote whomever we have in AAA to see what we'll be working with.

3) Aggressively pursue international player development in China, Cuba (once Cuba is opened for real) and Venezuela.

4) Get the best pitching scouts or give new developmental guys/ideas a chance to build a corps of pitching talent for the foreseeable future.

5) Implement a different batting philosophy that stresses patience and making the opposing pitcher throw as many pitches as possible.

That is the spine of future advancement as a team.

That's all I want to see.

MSK

...and I still say Jim Johnson got a raw deal around here.

This year's team has a +34 run differential and they're three games under .500. It's kind of the anti-2012 team. By runs, Baltimore should be the 5th best team in the AL, better than New York and Minnesota and in the second wild card spot.

You want a team playing over its head? The Yankees are outperforming their Pythag W-L record three years running.

Girardi is a genius.

I also want to respond to the premise of the thread.

I've seen nothing from Parmalee that says we will lose anything valuable if he is released. I've got no issue with that.

Snider has some pretty serious flaws in his game, but he is clearly a major league player and shouldn't be released until we have someone clearly better. We don't right now IMO although I'm happy to give Reimold, Alvarez, Urrutia, etc... a shot for 20 games to see.

Advocating the release of Paredes is comically bad. He not only shouldn't be released, but he should be in the plans for next year. He has some mechanical issues at the plate that come and go, but they aren't that difficult to eliminate and the guy can absolutely rake when the flaws aren't there.

Lumping these three players into a one size fits all post does seem to be all about frustration rather than logic. I hope it is frustration, because I would have to question the baseball acumen if someone really does think Paredes should be released.

My understanding is that O's management plans to have Paredes play winter ball to learn a position; I believe that it was in the OF.

Last night, after Snider struck out on a 97 mph fastball from Archer, the Rays' broadcast showed his swing in slow motion. The ball was already within 6" of the front of the plate when Snider started his swing. The ball was, literally, in the catcher's mitt when the bat crossed the plate. Brian Anderson, the Rays' color guy, called it the kind of swing you could expect from a guy who hit .290 in high school.

If he hasn't done it by now I don't like his chances.
I think that it's worth trying. I don't believe that Parades takes all that much from our budget. This is assuming that Paredes continues to hit the way he had been. Now if Paredes drops way off in the next month, then I would say it's time to DFA him.

JTrea's POV was often misunderstood and lamented but he always had a point: the FO and Angelos simply aren't capable of putting together a long-term plan of success.

Neither are you. Your plan consists of throwing other people's money at problems. And because you aren't actually signing guys, you're free to make the same argument every year about cheapness when if you were in charge, we'd actually have to deal with Josh Hamilton's contract. There are now so many awful contracts in baseball hurting the teams that own them, how could anyone come to any conclusion besides that big FA deals are a terrible way to build a team?

These weird little fixes might last a season or two, but there hasn't been an organizational plan for long-term contention in place since... who knows?

The Orioles need a top to bottom organizational philosophy from single-A to the MLB club to the front office that develops a mentality of winning from day one.

The Braves used to have a pitching-based organization, the Cardinals have a depth-based organization, and the successful clubs implement a strategy for success that is sustainable. That can endure the loss of stars or bad signings. That can spend money from time to time to supplement a strong core.

Or the Cardinals have a weird-little-fixes-based organization, as you would define our depth. But the rest of this is mostly silly platitudes. Instead of having a mentality of winning I'd rather they just actually score more runs than the opposing team. Unless you're suggesting the Orioles had a mentality of winning the last three years and then took the Zoloft out of the water coolers this season.

1) Trade Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris, Parm, Reimold, Lough in packages for top 100 prospects. Release the rest of the dead weight. The latter four are dead weight.

2) Promote whomever we have in AAA to see what we'll be working with. Agreed.

3) Aggressively pursue international player development in China, Cuba (once Cuba is opened for real) and Venezuela. Agreed, and stop dumping the international picks.

4) Get the best pitching scouts or give new developmental guys/ideas a chance to build a corps of pitching talent for the foreseeable future. Well OK, but this is more magical thinking. This isn't MLB 2K6 and all the pitching coaches and scouts have a 0-100 rating. What new ideas should we implement? Nolan Ryan was the last overhyped pitching development expert. How's Texas pitching doing now?

5) Implement a different batting philosophy that stresses patience and making the opposing pitcher throw as many pitches as possible. Yeah I wish the Orioles would walk more but I haven't seen anything to suggest it's about our philosophy as much as its about our players. Can you demonstrate guys coming here and walking less than career norms, or leaving and walking more than they did with us?

Archived