This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You only get criticized when you try to stir up controversy and bate fellow posters instead of engaging in factual discourse.

Really, read this. You will like it. http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-7611752

Read this last week. It's a great piece.

So let's figure this out.

FACT: Dan Duquette did not bring in adequate replacements for the departures of Cruz, Markakis and Miller.

FACT: The Toronto situation created a distraction.

FACT: DD had budgetary limitations because of arbitration, etc.

Those three facts undoubtedly led to us having a shaky 2015 season.

Now am I making up any of that? Is that an opinion or does the Win-Loss record reflect the results of the lack of improvement?

The way some posters react, you'd think they were related to DD or something.

MSK

Probably my biggest pet peeve' date=' outside of "could care less," is when people end everything with "just my opinion" or "just my two cents." It's not as if the rest of the world assumed you were giving somebody else's opinion before you threw that in, and it doesn't make it any less wrong. It just makes the writer sound anemic.[/quote']

I think the issue with the jmo/imo is that he board is very fact/analysis based. So when you stray outside with observational analysis it's sometimes good to add that in to prevent the inevitible waive of "where are your stats/analysis to back that up."

FACT: Dan Duquette did not bring in adequate replacements for the departures of Cruz, Markakis and Miller.

Now am I making up any of that? Is that an opinion or does the Win-Loss record reflect the results of the lack of improvement?

MSK

How did you determine that they were facts? They aren't. An opposing opinion can be formed.

See a fact is. "The Orioles record is less than their projected Pythagorean for 2015 on 7-27" That is what a fact is.

MSK

So now you are saying that DD isn't the sole reason that the team is doing poorly this year. Even though you said the opposite last night. Got it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

MSK

How has Miller not being on the team hurt them? Maybe the game O'Day blew the other night. Maybe.

Miller's presence in the Yankee's bullpen has hurt the O's more then his absence in the Orioles' bullpen.

How did you determine that they were facts? They aren't. An opposing opinion can be formed.

See a fact is. "The Orioles record is less than their projected Pythagorean for 2015 on 7-27" That is what a fact is.

Exactly. It's a bit challenging to engage in factual discourse when you keep confusing facts with your own opinion.

So what are the facts here?

1) DD did not improve the team substantially (as in at all).

2) DD is working with Angelos' budget and therefore cannot spend any money on anything other than arbitration.

3) DD replaced proven talent with AAAA-level guys.

4) DD placed an inordinate amount of faith on Davis, Wieters and Machado rebounding and/or replicating past performances.

Wieters is back and put on a great performance yesterday, but let's see what happens in three weeks.

Here's hoping the team gets on track!

MSK

MSK

The "facts" keep evolving, and that's because they aren't facts but opinions.

Archived