This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

When he fired Davey it basically set back the organization for 14 years. The decision to prevent DD from leaving has done the same. The organization is disrupted. In this case DD wanted to leave and nobody in their right mind wants to keep an employee that wants to leave - except our guy Pete.

Now we enter an offseason after a dismal season with a bunch of free agents and more holes than all of the miniature golf courses in OC. This offseason could resemble the Will Clark, Delino Deshields fiasco because that is how PA rolls. New ownership is our only hope.

Well that isn't happening.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When he fired Davey it basically set back the organization for 14 years. The decision to prevent DD from leaving has done the same. The organization is disrupted. In this case DD wanted to leave and nobody in their right mind wants to keep an employee that wants to leave - except our guy Pete.

Now we enter an offseason after a dismal season with a bunch of free agents and more holes than all of the miniature golf courses in OC. This offseason could resemble the Will Clark, Delino Deshields fiasco because that is how PA rolls. New ownership is our only hope.

You do realize that MLB's labor structure is based upon forcing players to work for owners for six to seven years even if they would rather play somewhere else?

Should Angelos let Manny become a free agent if he wants to go play somewhere else?

I think there is a huge difference between forcing the reigning Manager of the Year to resign and forcing the reigning Executive of the Year to keep his job that he had contracted to do through 2018. And maybe you think the start of the Winter Meetings would have been a great time for the Orioles to start looking for a new GM, but I certainly do not.

You do realize that MLB's labor structure is based upon forcing players to work for owners for six to seven years even if they would rather play somewhere else?

Should Angelos let Manny become a free agent if he wants to go play somewhere else?

For five to seven times the money?

I think there is a huge difference between forcing the reigning Manager of the Year to resign and forcing the reigning Executive of the Year to keep his job that he had contracted to do through 2018. And maybe you think the start of the Winter Meetings would have been a great time for the Orioles to start looking for a new GM, but I certainly do not.

As you correctly state, Davey resigned, he wasn't fired. I don't think he was forced to resign - he was under contract for the next season. Angelos didn't want to give him a contract extension, but he could have managed one more season. Maybe he foresaw the aging of the team, didn't think it would do as well next season, and thought his resume' would look better if he left as Manager of the Year.

If, indeed, this is the start of another stretch of losing seasons, that's also on DD, his scouts, and his minor league managers and coaches (MacPhail's, too, to a lesser extent) for not finding and developing enough good players. PA is paying around $125 million to players this season - there are several teams whose owners don't or won't pay close to that. Give Tampa Bay or Oakland's GMs a budget like that, and see what they do with it.

As you correctly state, Davey resigned, he wasn't fired. I don't think he was forced to resign - he was under contract for the next season. Angelos didn't want to give him a contract extension, but he could have managed one more season. Maybe he foresaw the aging of the team, didn't think it would do as well next season, and thought his resume' would look better if he left as Manager of the Year.

He was forced to resign in the sense that Angelos hadn't committed to bringing him back, had sided with a player (Alomar) in a dispute over discipline for Alomar skipping an exhibition game against the Orioles' AAA team in Rochester, and had basically publicly humiliated him by letting him dangle in the wind for weeks after the season ended. At the time, it seemed very certain that Angelos was going to fire him, and Davey resigned because he was too proud to let that happen. I remember Tom Boswell going ballistic over how Angelos had handled the situation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/orioles/longterm/memories/davey/articles/bos.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/orioles/longterm/memories/davey/articles/chron.htm

So much drama here.

Look this is nothing at all like when PA fired Davey. If Pete has simply just let DD go to Toronto and we found ourselves in the boat we are in now, then it might be remotely like that. Pete instead recognized he had a valuable commodity working for him who was under contractand decide he wanted to keep him. This is something that happens every single day in business. DD is not a moron, he knows its not a personal thing, DD himself has likely told people under his direct authority similar things. Its the way of things.

Why is everyone so eager to assume that the reason we lost Cruz, Markakis and did not replace them with meaningful players was because DD was on the phone with Toronto instead of doing his job? Based on history, it is far more likely that DD had little money left in his budget once the guys who got arbitration raises final numbers were in. Perhaps on a franchise friendly deal for Nick or Cruz, DD could have talked PA into signing off....maybe. There are things that I am critical of DD on or do not 100% agree with but I have no doubt in my mind that he is professional enough to do his job to the best of his ability and not take business decisions personally.

• 4 weeks later...

The tension isn't shocking.

I'm wondering why it's difficult for so many OH posters to believe that there could be trouble behind the scenes in the FO? People wonder why I say the things I do, and then for the second consecutive article about troubles in the FO, folks are going out of their way to believe the opposite.

What has to occur before we concede that the Orioles FO isn't a fairy tale shangri-la?

The craziest thing about the article is that it literally REPEATS stuff many of us were saying all year long.

For example:

According to sources, the sources of unrest include:

● Duquette’s inability to adequately replace outfielders Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis, both of whom left as free agents last offseason.

● The failures of Duquette’s offseason additions, from major-league free agents Wesley Wright, Everth Cabrera and Delmon Young to trade acquisition Travis Snider. All were jettisoned during the season, as was Alejandro De Aza, a player whom the Orioles re-signed in arbitration.

● The deteriorating state of the Orioles’ farm system, which has been further compromised by injuries to top pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey.

● The influence of Duquette’s pitching development director, Rick Peterson, an issue first reported by Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.

● The fact that most or all of the Orioles’ coaches are unsigned beyond this season, even though Showalter repeatedly has praised his staff.

Verbatim what many of us were slammed for.

Astounding.

MSK

I've noticed that for the last month this is the only topic you found time to discuss. The team, while not living up to most expectations has been on an 11-4 run. Enjoy it.

Because I was called every nasty name under the sky since November 2014. To be honest, I was pissed off to be treated like that when I was only relaying the state of the team.

I've watched every game, but there is something gratifying about being proven right by national sports reporters who (for some reason) have the clarity of insight to realize that the Orioles FO isn't staffed with archangels.

MSK

Archived