We are a sad, sad looking baseball team. Hope Dan has the feelers out on all our FAs.

BamaOsFan

What if we win today and tomorrow? And then the series against the Yankees? Right back into the hunt. But that could be the worst possible part about this season. We might play well just enough to have playoff hopes, only to have them dashed.

The surprising success of 2012 created the same problem in 2013 that the success of 2014 is creating now.

Expectations and reality only go hand and hand about 50% of the time. When they do not, you must see it for what it is and move on.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said it before, but this is our make or break road trip. Obviously last night was extremely frustrating, and we've got two more in Detroit, then three in the Bronx and St. Pete to try to turn this around. If this is not a winning road trip, we need to be selling. Period. If we don't find a turning point here very soon, let's not throw good money after bad and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

All signs point to selling, but I'll give us until we return to make a final determination (unless, of course, we lose like the next five and we have our answer). Regardless, it's time for Dan to start working the phones about selling off some guys rather than buying. There are a lot of assets here that we could really use to help bolster our farm system. We need help down there - that is our ticket to sustained success.

This club, as currently composed, has eight games to prove that they're contenders.

Even if this team somehow makes the playoffs, I can't see anyway they make a run to the WS. It will probably be a one and done. We are lacking in a lot of areas that we were great in last season. I'd rather better our future chances of being great, rather than stay average with a depleted farm system.

Even if this team somehow makes the playoffs, I can't see anyway they make a run to the WS. It will probably be a one and done. We are lacking in a lot of areas that we were great in last season. I'd rather better our future chances of being great, rather than stay average with a depleted farm system.

Yea this team is nothing compared to last years team. I was very happy to see them play in the ALCS and thought we'd get to see them make the WS. However, this team has too many holes. We can only go so many days saying "if this" "if that," you don't win when we need 20 "ifs" hope, hope I'm wrong, it pains me to see them lose. I'll continue to watch the whole way regardless.

Go O's

Hope you're right. But how much longer can they trot out Snider, Parmalee, and Paredes and see winning results? Its more the first two, but Paredes is a wild free swinger and we can't afford to have much more of that with this lineup.i still don't get why Davis is in RF, though he made some nice plays tonight.he isn't and will never be a quality RF and he certainly isn't making way for a red hot Parmalee.That experiment is over.

Paredes? A guy with a OPS of 800 that the Orioles are paying 515k is the least of this team's worries

The Ranger series was a real blow after the 18-5 run. The Rangers have been in free fall over the past month, with their only bright spot being the 3 of 4 they took from the Orioles. Ever since that series, the mojo and overall hitting approach has been very off kilter.

The Orioles' offense as constituted seems built for success only when everyone is on -- which is totally unrealistic in baseball, where 3 out of 10 is a good batting average, and therefore the likelihood of everyone being on at once is very low. This team lacks the basic competencies (patience... speed) to muddle through when they're not on.

All in all, very unlikely they get it turned around tonight vs David Price.

Things look bad right now.

The reality is simple: if we can't get out of this slump by the trade deadline, the Orioles FO owes it to the fanbase to be honest about the team's future. We can no longer exist in the "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" limbo that has worked for the past three seasons but is otherwise unsustainable for long-term success.

I really wonder if DD is prepared to do what is necessary?

MSK

I think he would do what's best. But what he thinks best.

Things look bad right now.

The reality is simple: if we can't get out of this slump by the trade deadline, the Orioles FO owes it to the fanbase to be honest about the team's future. We can no longer exist in the "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" limbo that has worked for the past three seasons but is otherwise unsustainable for long-term success.

I really wonder if DD is prepared to do what is necessary?

MSK

I don't think they owe us anything but a chance to win. This team has enough talent to win, but the talent isn't performing to a high enough level. I don't think that's the FO's fault.

I don't think they owe us anything but a chance to win. This team has enough talent to win, but the talent isn't performing to a high enough level. I don't think that's the FO's fault.

I'm pretty happy with our success over the last few years. Just coming off an ALCS berth, division title, and having 10+ impending FA's, I would have liked to have seen us be a little more aggressive in the offseason. I was hoping we were past the point where we needed multiple players to come out of nowhere and have career years to be a playoff team. Actually we've gotten that from Parades and Roe, but it's just not enough.

This teams motto has been wait till we get healthy. These guys missed so many games....... That just doesn't work because over 162 game season, injuries are the norm. This team can win. It's just going to take Machado, Jones, Davis, Pearce/Reimold, and Tillman to all have huge 2nd halfs.

I think the baseline for being sellers at the trade deadline should be more than five games out. If we are healthy and fives games out or less you can't give up on the team.

I think all four of Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day could not a top 100 prospect back. We won't get any in the upper echelon, but I'm thinking in the 50 to 150 range. That could do wonders for our system. The more I think about it the more attractive it sounds. This isn't a 2000 situation. We will still have a solid young core leftover on the MLB club.

Archived