Manny Should Be Batting 3rd

Camden_yardbird

The real solution is to have Manny hit for a lot less power, and then put Lough batting second and constantly sacrificing. It's not about the Orioles scoring the most runs, it's all about maximizing the RBIs for the #3 hitter.

Or by stupidly batting him leadoff minimizing his rbi chances and his chances of a multi run homer.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea isn't to give one man a lot of rbis. The idea is for the team to score as many runs as we can. For every RBI, there is a run scored. Those silly stats go hand in hand ?nd are both equally reliant on what other hitters do. It just happens in different order. If manny batted third he may have more rbi, but he would maybe have less runs scored. None of this matters. Who cares who is achieving the counting stats? The point is to score runs as a team. Not to try to rack up Manny's RBI totals. The guy who gets on base the most often, should bat the most. In this case, it's more likely a lesser hitter ends up getting a hit with manny on base vs Manny getting a hit with a lesser hitter on base. That's because Manny is more likely to be on base. If the guys in front of manny are getting on less often, then Manny will still be getting his hits with no one on base, only in this situation, there may already be two outs. However, if manny is leading off, he will be on base more often than a lesser hitter, so when the lesser hitter is finally ready to do something good at the plate, there is a better chance someone will be on base to benefit from that production. Oh, and Nick Markakis doesn't play for the Orioles.

Makes sense. Plus if Manny hit less homers he could steal more bases and we could create more runs.

Before I was born, when baseball teams were more concerned with winning than silly theoretical book learnin', nobody gave a darn about on-base percentage and only those kids with the wacky weed would bat a good hitter first. They knew leadoff hitters should steal a ton of bases to get into scoring position for the big hitters like Manny who batted third. Perfect example... Luis Aparicio would beat out an infield single, steal second, get bunted to third by Curt Blefary, then Frank Robinson would hit one over the left field bleachers for a 2-0 lead. That happened more times than I could count. Anyway, lots of teams won the World Series in the 60s, so it clearly worked.

I can't even believe we are rehashing this subject after it was discussed to the death about a week ago.

Manny is batting leadoff because he's our best OBP guy (by a large margin) and he is one of the best baserunners on the team. Just like Brady was our leadoff hitter the year he hit 50 home runs. I think it's true he'd have more RBI's if we were batting 3rd or 4th. I doubt the team would score any more runs, though. And in any event, the effect is so small it's just not that worth of lengthy discussion.

Manny Machado may not be the prototypical leadoff hitter, but he leads the Orioles in BA (.301), runs (58), hits (104), HR (20), BB (39), SB (13), and OBP (.370).

I would have two questions:

- Who do you have to replace him that can put up that OBP and steal bases?

- Why would you want to mess up a good thing?

So until the Orioles get someone who can match or exceed his OBP and SB numbers, he will likely stay where he is.

Because people think it can always get better and it's never good enough.

Machado is quite literally the best player on the team.

Runs - 58, 1st on the team

Hits - 105, 1st on the team

2b - 19, 1st on the team

HR - 20, 1st on the team

RBIs - 50, 2nd on the team (3 behind Davis)

SB - 13, 1st on the team

BA - 300, 1st on the team

OBP - 367, 1st on the team

SLG - 531, 1st on the team

OPS - 899, 1st on the team

OPS+ - 147, 1st on the team

TB - 186, 1st on the team

rWAR - 5.1, 1st on the team

Clearly they should move him down in the order so that he can have a few more RBI chances...:scratchchinhmm::rolleyes:

Yeah, he'd be a lot more effective batting 3rd for us... theres a reason why you traditionally have your best all around hitter batting 3rd and not lead off. You want him batting when you have people on base and not hitting solo homers.

Yeah, he'd be a lot more effective batting 3rd for us... theres a reason why you traditionally have your best all around hitter batting 3rd and not lead off. You want him batting when you have people on base and not hitting solo homers.

Traditionally the best all around hitter would be leading the team in hitting categories. Manny leads the team in all offensive categories except for RBIs, and he's 3 off the leader. I honestly don't know what there is to complain about. It's like you come home and show your mom you got an A on your test and she goes, "That's great, but you could have gotten an A+".

Traditionally the best all around hitter would be leading the team in hitting categories. Manny leads the team in all offensive categories except for RBIs, and he's 3 off the leader. I honestly don't know what there is to complain about. It's like you come home and show your mom you got an A on your test and she goes, "That's great, but you could have gotten an A+".

I'm complaining because we can do better. In this time of struggling with RISP, wouldn't you rather have our best hitter up when there are men on base instead? But due to the way the lineup is constructed, he isn't getting those chances.

I'm complaining because we can do better. In this time of struggling with RISP, wouldn't you rather have our best hitter up when there are men on base instead? But due to the way the lineup is constructed, he isn't getting those chances.
You'd rather have the best hitter batting third, often coming up with two out and no one on because you're intentionally putting worse hitters at the top of the lineup, than just have the best hitter getting the most PAs and setting up the inning with runners on?

My parents would go to parent teacher night to figure out why my Bs weren't As. They weren't thrilled upon discovering my reasoning that homework was 10% of the grade so if I got a 100% on everything else I didn't have to do homework.

You'd rather have the best hitter batting third, often coming up with two out and no one on because you're intentionally putting worse hitters at the top of the lineup, than just have the best hitter getting the most PAs and setting up the inning with runners on?

I think Manny could easily have 15-20 more RBI with the way he's hitting if he was batting 3rd. I do believe we'd be scoring more overall runs with better lineup construction. Why not put Snider at #1? He's a solid OBP guy.

I know Buck won't change it because he loves his unorthodox batting lineups and is a creature of habit, but I just like to imagine how much more effective we'd be with our prototypical #3 hitter batting #3.

Archived