The Yankees Series, July 21-23

Frobby

Huge series for us.

Chen (4-5, 2.78) vs. Eovaldi (9-2, 4.50)

Gausman (1-1, 5.00) vs. Nova (1-3, 3.42)

Jimenez (7-5, 3.29) vs. Tanaka (6-3, 3.65)

Eovaldi has benefitted from huge run support, 5.61 runs/game, fourth best among qualified starters. Chen has gotten 3.41 runs/game, 43rd of 49 qualifiers. Chen has pitched well in 2 starts against New York, allowing 3 runs in 13 IP. Eovaldi has been his typical self against us, 5 runs in 10.2 IP. I feel we have the edge in this one, if our bats have finally woken up.

Nova has made four starts since returning from TJ surgery. He was sharp in his first outing and mediocre since then. As to Gausman, he's been all over the lot, so we will have to wait and see how sharp he is.

Tanaka had two horrible starts in June that raised his ERA from 2.49 to 3.88, and since then has settled in with three pretty good starts. We have not faced him this year, but beat him the two times we saw him last year, with Jonathan Schoop homering in each game. Ubaldo beat the Yankees on June 12, though he was not particularly sharp.

ARod and Teixeira continue to pace the Yankee offense. The Yankees have not hit particularly well in July (.715 OPS, 4.08 R/G). Of course, the Orioles have been worse (.683 OPS, 3.36 R/G).

Even moreso than usual, I think tonight's game is very important and the key to this series. It's the most favorable pitching matchup we'll have in the series, and sets the tone. I'm hoping we'll see Chen at his best, and be patient against Eovaldi, who tends not to get deep in games (5.44 IP/start). The back of their bullpen is deadly but their middle relievers can be reached.

I think Buck kept Chen in his spot rather than moving him up in order after the break to have him start the first game against the Yankees. We will see if it pays off.

Winning 2 of 3 would get us right back in the race, losing 2 of 3 would push us pretty far back going into August. Getting swept would be unthinkably bad and likely turn us from buyers into sellers.

For the love of God, please do not let Alex Rodriguez beat us.

If we lose the next two, its likely the season is pretty much over.

I don't know. The team could be sellers next week and still respond with a winning streak. The team has played some of it's best ball when significant players were on the DL. It's a funny team that seems to play its best when unexpected filler players get on hot streaks, not when the "stars" play particularly well.

Calling it now - 8 innings in a Win from Gausman
I too think Gausman is going to really show up tonight.

I take back my statement, I'm hoping he just gets through 5 after the trade talk today. Kid gets yo-yo'd and now this. I'd probably be hoping for a trade if I'm him

I take back my statement, I'm hoping he just gets through 5 after the trade talk today. Kid gets yo-yo'd and now this. I'd probably be hoping for a trade if I'm him

I think the trade talk is going to be P him off. Look for his fastball to be blazing tonight and I expect a superb start from him. O's win.

Archived