Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

Wed/Thu/Fri shaping up nicely for anyone in the market to buy Cespedes/Upton/Bruce/Cargo.

Angels opted for Murphy/Victorino platoon. Mets have had Conforto hit ground running, so would be tricky to walk back now. Pirates have Gregory Polanco surging.

Is anyone besides us buying out of that tier? Giants? Twins? Even more Royals? We couldn't possibly want two, could we?

This is way I see it. It's OF buyers market. Heck it's kind of SP buyers market which is bizarre.

You could have hamels, price, Ross, cashner, smardzjia. That's quite a list of 1,2,3 types and I bet more are being discussed

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my argument for somebody..

Billy Butler. He's cost "controlled" until 2017 at $11.6m per year. He fills a hole if Davis leaves.

O's can give up a pitcher and Walker for him. We upgrade 1st and leave Davis in RF.

I really thought Butler would develop into a better hitter but he hasn't. I thought maybe Beane saw something there and he'd be better this year, but he's been bad again. Below replacement level for 2 years now and he sucks at first base. Might be ok to have a look this year, but I'd be pretty leery about carrying that contract next year.

Billy Butler. He's cost "controlled" until 2017 at $11.6m per year. He fills a hole if Davis leaves.

O's can give up a pitcher and Walker for him. We upgrade 1st and leave Davis in RF.

Butler is a poor fielder, has a 698 OPS and is in his 3rd straight year of decline. I don't think that's the way to go.

Philly is paying $4.5M of remaining $4.9M this year. He reduced his salary from $13M to $11M next year. And $3M of that is deferred to 2017. Seems Philly just wanted him gone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Seems back in '95 Andy wanted Sammy Sosa gone from Sosa despite 13 years in Chicago and some national heroic in '98. He had his friend Peter Angelos take him off his hands along with a check for $10M.

I really thought Butler would develop into a better hitter but he hasn't. I thought maybe Beane saw something there and he'd be better this year, but he's been bad again. Below replacement level for 2 years now and he sucks at first base. Might be ok to have a look this year, but I'd be pretty leery about carrying that contract next year.

I also look at where he has played. Bay area and KC.. "large" parks.

You lost me at "we upgrade 1st."

I see no part of your scenario that results in "we upgrade 1st."

:P

I also look at where he has played. Bay area and KC.. "large" parks.

Ok, I get it. It would be interesting to see what he could do in the AL East and better parks, but he's still regressed pretty badly. He doesn't put enough balls in the air and hits with top spin, not maximizing his power potential. In addition to being a bad defender, he's slower than crap and gives up bout 10 runs a season (if not more) on the basepaths. It's pretty hard to give up that many runs and he does it consistently. Guy has a lot of issues and red flags. Rest of the season, yeah i might take a shot on Butler at a low cost. Carrying that 11 mil contract into next year, no way.

Ok, I get it. It would be interesting to see what he could do in the AL East and better parks, but he's still regressed pretty badly. He doesn't put enough balls in the air and hits with top spin, not maximizing his power potential. In addition to being a bad defender, he's slower than crap and gives up bout 10 runs a season (if not more) on the basepaths. It's pretty hard to give up that many runs and he does it consistently. Guy has a lot of issues and red flags. Rest of the season, yeah i might take a shot on Butler at a low cost. Carrying that 11 mil contract into next year, no way.

Orioles have no 1st base options til 2017. 11.6m is cheaper the Davis. If we sign Davis, we trade Butler.

Archived