Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And all these 4a OFers are playing where??? DFA someone for Pete Angelis Sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior is in the minors right now, so he can go to Bowie or Norfolk and stay there for now. No need to DFA anyone (other than Parmelee for Parra).

It's a lot of things. Salary adjustment for Parra, get something for Tommy before he leaves via FA, upgrade that spot with Givens, get a controllable young OFer who has hit well in the minors.

This is a fantastic trade on many levels.

Yes, but also Duquette: doesn't sell high. Why not trade Hunter after 2014? Especially with a bunch of bullpen options in majors.

Instead we hold on to a thousand AAAA players that clog the roster. Hold on to Norris too long.

So basically this is a salary dump and so we can have a bullpen spot. Duquette sucks at trades.

You're saying that as if dumping salary is a bad thing. Opens up a roster spot for Wilson or Givens, both of whom are as good or better than Tommy and deserve a shot. We probably need to DFA Parmalee to make room for Parra, so this gives us another AAAA OF depth option who we can stash in the minors. The fact that we got anything back is bonus.

I don't think you're giving Givens (heyooooo) enough credit.

I don't think he's done anything in the majors to warrant (or withhold) credit. But acting like he's a capable replacement for Hunter just isn't reasonable. Givens is a complete unknown...moreso than most young pitchers, IMO.

Lake is a pretty nice pickup for Tommy Freaking Hunter, I'm sorry. Tommy is eminently replaceable and almost certainly upgraded upon by Givens. And then you get an outfielder who already has major league experience who is only 25 and under control for 5 more years?

So you just upgraded that bullpen spot and actually got somebody for a guy who you can't QO. That's literally the best possible Tommy Hunter scenario you could ever hope for.

You're assuming he'll ever contribute meaningfully at the major league level. He's depth. And not very useful depth at that.

Archived