Tommy Hunter to Cubs for Junior Lake (Deal Done)

sipper65

I want to know what AM does to get such hauls. I am serious. What does he do? We need to find out bc DD is not in the same stratosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trades away better players? Bedard, Tejada, Uehara and Sherrill all were better than any established player that Dan has traded away since he arrived.

Andy was in rebuild mode, and traded good established players who had 1.3 - 2 years left before free agency and got very good value for them. Dan's not in rebuild mode.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stone cold.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hunter just found out on social media. Going into Bucks office now</p>? Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"There?s not going to be any shut doors. I?m not trying to run, stomp out of here like I didn?t like it. Cuz I loved it." -Tommy Hunter</p>? Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's a pretty bad ass quote. Hats off to you Tommy. People made their jokes but you could start, do middle relief, closer and setup guy. None perfect but adequately. And that sir is something most can't do. Thank you:

I am not a big Dan Duquette fan, I do not like the direction he has taken. And I also credit Andy MacPhail for most of the success this team has had. That said, I think that this trade of Tommy Hunter is a very good one. Maybe the best trade that DD has made since he got here. I really like the potential of Junior Lake, he has the tools to be a really good player. And How many good young outfiel prospects do we have in our system? Its a really good return for 2 months of Tommy Hunter. And that is probably about the same way that Milwaukee feels about Davies. That he is a really good return for 2 months of Gerardo Parra.

We are going to have a fairly young bullpen next year. It would be nice for some of them to get their feet wet this year.

Hunters spot goes to Givens. Norris' spot goes to Wright goes to Garcia, who has been getting stretched out in the minors to serve as long man upon his return. With Garcia, that will leave Givens spot as the flexible spot.

And while it is a salary dump, there are still players that can be acquired in August that could have higher salaries.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This. I read that after Bundy & Gausman, Givens was the most sought-after player in trade talks. Hunter was not going to be re-signed with a raise, so he goes away for a prospect, and Givens gets an immediate call-up. Givens will now get to experience the intensity of a pennant race, and our FO can see how he takes to it. And tonight, he gets the win. Not a bad way to move forward.

We boarded a bus after landing that transported us to the service, and I again found a seat near the back against a window as I attempted to blend into the background and not get in the way. Hunter plopped down next to me, purposely crowding me as if we were inside a sardine can, and proceeded to engage me in conversation for most of the ride.

He pointed out houses and asked whether I thought anyone important lived in them. He made me choose which teammates could fill out a basketball starting five. He cracked jokes to take my mind off our destination and the loss of a dear friend, to make me feel more comfortable while surrounded by players outside the usual baseball environment.

Tommy.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/08/ditching-deadlines-and-getting-back-to-baseball.html

DD has been in a completely different situation than MacPhail. He has been in buy mode at the trade deadline the last four years. You simply cannot expect him to be acquiring prospects, much less for the likes of Tommy Hunter.

I don't like the cost of the Parra deal, but you have to give Dan credit for building a contender without sacrificing any of our top prospects. While Miller etc were not enough to deliver a title, the worst Dan has cost us is Hader and Eduardo and now Davies. I would still like to have Davies, but at least we have Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey, all while staying in contention past the All Star break the last four years. That is a big accomplishment.

I think people are forgetting that MacPhail excelled at both types of trades: veterans for prospects, and prospects for veterans. Trading Hoey and Jacobson for JJ Hardy was an absolute steal, and the Mark Reynolds trade was also very beneficial.

You say the worst Dan has cost us is Hader/Eduardo/Davies, but what about the 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Tarpley, and all those international bonus slots?

That being said, I think the Hunter trade is actually great from a long term perspective. They traded 2 months of a decent middle reliever for 5 years of an OF prospect with exceptional raw tools that just hasn't translated into production yet. My only concern with this trade is replacing a veteran with playoff experience with unproven rookies. I'm generally not a big fan of "veteranacity", but I think experience is important when pitching in late-inning pressure situations in the playoffs.

Andy McPhail gets way too much love. He made a great trade when he dealt Bedard. He botched on Tejada imo. A lot easier trading proven talent for prospects as opposed to trying to figure out what prospects to trade. Other than Arrieta, no one DD has traded has us regretting the trade. And Arrietas time here had passed.

Agreed. Who cant trade an ACE, Lefty, young, 1 year of control left, coming off a 5.7 WAR season, who was willing to agree to an extension.

Boy. Machpail really fleeced them.

Trading Hoey and Jacobson for JJ Hardy was an absolute steal, and the Mark Reynolds trade was also very beneficial.

You say the worst Dan has cost us is Hader/Eduardo/Davies, but what about the 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Tarpley, and all those international bonus slots?

And the comp picks.

I thought this little tidbit was noteworthy:

Dan Duquette said:

"Junior Lake's a 25-year-old right-handed hitter. Been with the Cubs his whole career, came up with the Cubs organization as a shortstop. Good athlete, good hitter. He's got about 600 plate appearances. He's hit a little over .240, shown flashes of power and he's been working with Manny Ramirez down in Triple-A and he's become a lot more of a selective hitter. Looking for his pitch, hitting the ball to right-center field, using the whole field."

Lake has a lot of tools but has been underwhelming and inconsistent in both the majors and minors. However, he was sent down to Iowa June 14th and proceeded to get hot.

June, 33 AB, 394/487/696/1093

July, 92 AB, 337/415/565/980

What makes this more interesting is the over the 125 at bats he had 31 walks.

Manny Ramirez is a hitting consultant for the Cubs and their AAA minor league club.

Of course Lake and Ramirez are both from the Dominican. And

Duquette signed Manny to a 6 year, 160M contract in December of 2000. Dan doesn't say so but he may have talked to Manny to understand what has made Lake surge.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/07/hearing-from-dan-duquette-tommy-hunter-and-chris-tillman.html

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=516809#/splits/R/hitting/2015/MINORS

Kind of surprised you guys are upset by this trade. As far as I'm concerned, the Cubs lost this one. Lake completely rebuilt his swing and approach this year. Going from a pitch guessing, no walk taking hacker to a very disciplined hitter. He has massive tools, the kind that would make him a 5WAR guy if things ever broke right. The problem with him is that one day he'll absolutely wow you and make you think you've found a piece for the next decade. The next day he'll look like he doesn't belong in minor league ball, let alone the majors. If the Orioles manage to do what the Cubs couldn't and harness those tools, they've got themselves a stud.

I thought this little tidbit was noteworthy:

Dan Duquette said:

Lake has a lot of tools but has been underwhelming and inconsistent in both the majors and minors. However, he was sent down to Iowa June 14th and proceeded to get hot.

June, 33 AB, 394/487/696/1093

July, 92 AB, 337/415/565/980

What makes this more interesting is the over the 125 at bats he had 31 walks.

Manny Ramirez is a hitting consultant for the Cubs and their AAA minor league club.

Of course Lake and Ramirez are both from the Dominican. And

Duquette signed Manny to a 6 year, 160M contract in December of 2000. Dan doesn't say so but he may have talked to Manny to understand what has made Lake surge.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/07/hearing-from-dan-duquette-tommy-hunter-and-chris-tillman.html

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=516809#/splits/R/hitting/2015/MINORS

We can call him El Lagito! The little lake.....!andale muchacho!

I am sure ethically Manny isn't going to tell DD much about a player for an organization he works for...

But stranger things have happened.

Money is thicker than water and 160M buys you a lot of information.

Kind of surprised you guys are upset by this trade. As far as I'm concerned, the Cubs lost this one. Lake completely rebuilt his swing and approach this year. Going from a pitch guessing, no walk taking hacker to a very disciplined hitter. He has massive tools, the kind that would make him a 5WAR guy if things ever broke right. The problem with him is that one day he'll absolutely wow you and make you think you've found a piece for the next decade. The next day he'll look like he doesn't belong in minor league ball, let alone the majors. If the Orioles manage to do what the Cubs couldn't and harness those tools, they've got themselves a stud.

Yeah the only people that are complaining about this are the ones that want to find anything to blame DD for.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived