Gordon or Tim Beckham?

Most draft pundits have Tim as a top 5 pick with an incredible ceiling and compare him to Barry Larkin.

Gordon was projected as a 2nd round pick, who has moved into late first-round territory with his sensational season.

Both are expected to remain at shortstop and are good defensively. Both are expected to hit fairly well.

Gordon is having an unbelievable season. His batting average is .500. That's ridiculous. He has 13 HR already. IF he keeps this up, it might be tempting to choose him, especially since he's closer to the majors.

Most draft pundits have Tim as a top 5 pick with an incredible ceiling and compare him to Barry Larkin.

Gordon was projected as a 2nd round pick, who has moved into late first-round territory with his sensational season.

Both are expected to remain at shortstop and are good defensively. Both are expected to hit fairly well.

Gordon is having an unbelievable season. His batting average is .500. That's ridiculous. He has 13 HR already. IF he keeps this up, it might be tempting to choose him, especially since he's closer to the majors.

I am watching tape of Gordon Beckham this weekend. From the little I've seen so far (just two at bats) he has a long swing. This is because his back elbow is a little to far up. This forces the bat head to come around and through the plate, rather than directly to the ball. He's so strong, though, that he doesn't have any trouble catching up to the pitching he's facing.

He seems like a good enough athlete that this will eventually be corrected. Still, Tim is a legit 5-tooler with a better arm and a purer swing. Both are first rounders -- only Tim is a top 5er for me.

For what it's worth, Gordon passed Weeks on my list of top college MI and I imagine he'll be a 11-15 guy if he continues to impress in SEC play.

I am watching tape of Gordon Beckham this weekend. From the little I've seen so far (just two at bats) he has a long swing. This is because his back elbow is a little to far up. This forces the bat head to come around and through the plate, rather than directly to the ball. He's so strong, though, that he doesn't have any trouble catching up to the pitching he's facing.

He seems like a good enough athlete that this will eventually be corrected. Still, Tim is a legit 5-tooler with a better arm and a purer swing. Both are first rounders -- only Tim is a top 5er for me.

For what it's worth, Gordon passed Weeks on my list of top college MI and I imagine he'll be a 11-15 guy if he continues to impress in SEC play.

What are your projections for Beckham hitting wise?

I am really looking forward to this draft with the talent that is out there. I think I may take off work.

Very good analysis. By the way, I am very high on Weeks. Would love to see him slip to the 2nd, but I don't think that will happen.

Very good analysis. By the way, I am very high on Weeks. Would love to see him slip to the 2nd, but I don't think that will happen.

That was my question. I love the idea of another switch hitting 2Bman with speed and keep hoping that Weeks drops a bit - tell me Boras is his agent - and we have a chance to snare him in the second round. This is exactly why I wish MLB would allow teams to trade draft picks. I'd love to "move up," ala the NFL draft, from our second round slot to take him.

What are your projections for Beckham hitting wise?

I am really looking forward to this draft with the talent that is out there. I think I may take off work.

Tim Beckham -- the easiest comparison is a BJ Upton-type. Depending on how his power develops (and I am a very big believer that the backspin his swing generates will quickly be harnessed once he has full-time pro instruction) he could turn into a .300/25 guy. A more conservative projection (if you can call any projection that has a HS player making it to the ML-level conservative) would be .280/15. He should be a safe bet for 30+ SB a year, given his baserunning prowess and general baseball IQ.

Gordon Beckham -- he's closer to fully-baked (a finished product). Given my brief take above on his swing, I think it gets corrected and you have a .285/15 guy who has a season or two of 20+ HR. He isn't a burner, but his soft hands should keep him at SS provided he doesn't blow up in the gym once he hits pro-ball. His arm is strong enough to play at all four IF positions.

Obviously these are preliminary guesses at where these kids could end up based on their current tool set, frame and baseball IQ (and coachability). Each should be a very good bet to be a ML contributor; Timmy with a higher ceiling and Gordon a safer bet to reach the ML, if only because he is so much closer right now.

I agree Weeks would be a great kid to ink, and I also agree he's off the board by the end of round 1 -- probably 16-20ish right now.

He doesn't have the explosiveness in his swing that brother Rickie boasts, but he should be able to be a solid starter for an ML team in three years or so.

Tim Beckham -- the easiest comparison is a BJ Upton-type. Depending on how his power develops (and I am a very big believer that the backspin his swing generates will quickly be harnessed once he has full-time pro instruction) he could turn into a .300/25 guy. A more conservative projection (if you can call any projection that has a HS player making it to the ML-level conservative) would be .280/15. He should be a safe bet for 30+ SB a year, given his baserunning prowess and general baseball IQ.

Gordon Beckham -- he's closer to fully-baked (a finished product). Given my brief take above on his swing, I think it gets corrected and you have a .285/15 guy who has a season or two of 20+ HR. He isn't a burner, but his soft hands should keep him at SS provided he doesn't blow up in the gym once he hits pro-ball. His arm is strong enough to play at all four IF positions.

Obviously these are preliminary guesses at where these kids could end up based on their current tool set, frame and baseball IQ (and coachability). Each should be a very good bet to be a ML contributor; Timmy with a higher ceiling and Gordon a safer bet to reach the ML, if only because he is so much closer right now.

This is great information. Thanks.

Give me anyone of the following and I am happy.

Alvarez, Smoak, Crow, Matuz, Beckham or Hosmer.

I should also point out that in the first AB I viewed GB hit a 3-0 fastball off Peavy out of the entire stadium at OSU. Quick wrists -- Peavy's a hard thrower...

I'm assuming there is another Peavy besides Jake - a pitcher for OSU?

This is great information. Thanks.

Give me anyone of the following and I am happy.

Alvarez, Smoak, Crow, Matuz, Beckham or Hosmer.

Im with you!

1a. Alvarez

1b. Smoak

1c. Beckham

2a. Crow

2b. Hosmer

2c. Matusz

It will probally change by the time the draft roles around. But give me any of those 6 and im very very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived