The Angels series, August 7-9

Frobby

I disagree with the assessment of Reimold going to third. The ball was hard hit and Reimold saw the play. It killed a potential big inning with the middle of the order coming up.. What impressed me on that play was Parra going to second on the throw which resulted in a run. I don't know what Jones was up to, he must have been slow out of the box. Not a bad play with two outs and once again, Parra must have hustled home or Jones hit would have gone to waste.

That was a fairly horrible loss last night to start the series. Gausman let the Angels score in the 1st, then twice the O's fought back to take the lead and twice he gave it back immediately. It seemed like every Angels hit came with two strikes and they scored a bunch of runs with two outs. Roe and Brach came up small, too. Hitting was pretty good but we missed a few two-out opportunities and made two outs on the bases in one inning. (In fairness, neither Reimold nor Jones made a bad baserunning decision IMO, the Angels just made two really great throws.). All in all, it felt like a game we could have won, but let slip away.

We need Ubaldo to step up big time today.

Pretty accurate.

Reverse jinx works. Big win tonight, and as beautiful as last night's game was ugly. Scored three runners from third base on productive outs - a grounder by Jones and two sac files from Schoop. Who says we never do that?

Ubaldo got better as this game went along and really finished strong.

Jones threw Trout out at the plate on a really strong throw. Hardy made a nice throw from deep in the hole.

Now we have a chance to win this series, which would be pretty huge.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• If he has been injured all this time, why are they still letting him play? After a month of poor performance with an injury, they should have sat him. EDIT - Screw a month, 2 weeks.
    • And McCann is our worst RHB facing a dominant lefty with reverse splits. You have to think a K is a high likelihood.  And then to send him up there with Ramon on 3rd, you have to expect the same outcome.
    • I don't like hearing that a catcher has a back issue -no matter how big or how small it is- at age 26.  
    • IMO he made two decisions that were clearly wrong, pitching to Witt and not PR Holliday, to go along with a couple others I didn’t agree with but are certainly debatable. There is no doubt that the game was lost because the bats couldn’t push a run across, but everyone has a job to do, and like the batters, Hyde didn’t do his.
    • I use the StatCast search function. It’s a little more complicated for chase rate, ground ball rate, popup rate, and sweet spot rate because you need to adjust selected pitch attributes/outcomes as well as total pitch definition and then use % of pitches. I believe popups are categorized by stringers and generally capture balls that an infielder could catch.  I believe Adley’s fly balls have gotten can of cornier even without the popups.
    • ...or simply choose not to even attempt to play situational baseball.  As I posted in another thread, 0-0 game both teams aces are dealing.  Ced leads off the inning with a double.  Your #9 hitter (McCann) is coming to the plate with your two best hitters (Gunnar and Westburg) to follow. Instead of bunting Ced to 3rd and almost assuring yourself a 1-0 lead which firmly puts the pressure on KC, Hyde chooses to let McCann swing away.  He feebly strikes out, Gunnar grounds out (there was your run), and Westburg flies out.  0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors. 1 left on....
    • Adley - Is it an injury? Is it a woman? Is it the "process?" Is it just who he is at his age? What Is It? And no, I'm not doing a pole. Wait till 2025 for the answer - I think. Till then - speculate. This off season goin be fun on here. This thread kinda makes me miss Rick Dempsey and I have absolutely no idea why. 😄 Oh yea, he was our last WSMVP.
  • Popular Contributors