A potential storm brewing?

Babypowder

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is a smart man. Spending that much money on a car is not very wise unless you have Buffett money when it doesn't really matter.
Why not just use a car service? Really.

You can be a car guy who enjoys driving cool stuff and still be fiscally prudent. Plenty of people who drive great, fun cars who make 10-20% of MLB minimum. There's probably more fun had with $15k cars than with the $150k cars, that mostly sit in a garage afraid of door dings and depreciation.

Verlander can do what he wants with his money, but I think having that much in cars at his wealth level is complete foolishness. He is probably a car geek and so he allows himself this luxury, which I get, but he could do so many smarter things for himself, his family, and the community. He isn't so wealthy that 500K - 1M in cars is no big deal. Again, his money to do with as he wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont think anybody is the car geek and has a collection like Jay Leno does.

Verlander has a nice collection maybe his license plate was why Kate Upton went out with him.

Lamborghini Aventador Roadster, Mercedes-Benz SLS Black Series, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari F12berlinetta, Mercedes-Benz SL55, Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari California (?), Aston Martin DBS (?)

Back in November of '11, Verlander admitted on the Dan Patrick Show that he used to have a license plate that read, "BRNGN IT". That was on a Mercedes-Benz SL55. Since then, his license plate ridiculousness has gone down, but his dominance in the league has gone up, as has his car game. Since then, he's been seen in a gullwing SLS (first was the GT, then the Black Series), a plethora of Ferraris (reportedly he also had a California), and a Maserati. It's also been floated that he has an Aston Martin DBS, but we haven't been able to find a photo. Even his dad's got a Corvette ZR1 with a license plate that stunts on everybody.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/05/10-impressive-mlb-car-collections/justin-verlander

What that tells me is that he has a ton of money, but not necessarily that he's huge fan of interesting cars or driving. That looks like what would happen if you gave a 13-year-old boy $100M and told him to buy whatever cars he wanted and he just picked whatever was on the posters on his wall or in his favorite video game.

Jay Leno has it right. He's used his massive pile of cash to buy all the most interesting stuff he can find.

Jay Leno has it right. He's used his massive pile of cash to buy all the most interesting stuff he can find.

I was lucky and caught a show on the old Speed channel, one of the car guys, visited Jay and was shown just some of his collection, and I was totally in awe. Very sweet.

Guy even has a huge warehouse across from his home, filled up.

Verlander can do what he wants with his money, but I think having that much in cars at his wealth level is complete foolishness. He is probably a car geek and so he allows himself this luxury, which I get, but he could do so many smarter things for himself, his family, and the community. He isn't so wealthy that 500K - 1M in cars is no big deal. Again, his money to do with as he wishes.

I obviously don't know Verlander, maybe he is a car geek. But that list reads like he just went to the dealer and bought a bunch of new cars because they were expensive and famous. And that's a ton more than $500k-$1M. Some of those cars are individually $500k.

And he wasn't our biggest idiot. Billy Rowell was worse by all accounts. And now the Adams' situation speaks for him pretty clearly.

Don't forget Vito Fabrizio, who got suspended and then cut a couple of years ago and it became clear there were "issues." He ended up in prison for bank robbery. http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/phenom-to-felon-frabizio-drug-fueled-bank-heists/

And here's a story I hadn't heard: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sentencing-set-for-former-orioles-minor-league-baseball-player-in-child-sex-case-20150521-story.html

Leno is worth 5-20x what Verlander is worth. He also buys and sells collectible cars and motorcycles so they aren't depreciating in the same way.

If he's buying stuff for track day and actually driving that's fine, he can do what he wants. But most cars are awful investments. Even Ferraris and Lambos depreciate a lot.

Some athletes like to spend money. i remember the article how Iverson got broke. He had his neighborhood buddies living in his house. One guy he gave $100,000 to pick up his dry cleaning. Also would order in breakfast,lunch and dinner. They were not ordering in no pizza and subs either.

Some athletes like to spend money. i remember the article how Iverson got broke. He had his neighborhood buddies living in his house. One guy he gave $100,000 to pick up his dry cleaning. Also would order in breakfast,lunch and dinner. They were not ordering in no pizza and subs either.

Its called a posse, and not just order food in, go out and pick up the tab for 65 people.

Wealth can be built wisely and a LOT of people can be helped into better lives in the long run or it can be blown and enjoyed. It is a free country so people can do what they want. But one is temporary and the other builds the community. I blow some of my money, but not much.

But many athletes have this attitude.

Baron Davis (via Sports Illustrated''s L. Jon Wertheim):

You're not going to abandon your homeboys because you've made it. Let me get this straight: I'm in the NBA and making money, so I'm supposed to start kicking it at Yale and Harvard with Poindexter and Pender-puss? Nuh-uh. That's not me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1558549-the-anatomy-of-an-nba-entourage

Wealth can be built wisely and a LOT of people can be helped into better lives in the long run or it can be blown and enjoyed. It is a free country so people can do what they want. But one is temporary and the other builds the community. I blow some of my money, but not much.

I guess they do more counseling and training now than in the past, but it still seems borderline insane to take a bunch of 18-23 year olds and give him hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in signing bonuses (and then a bunch of 20-somethings and pay them millions a year) and just say "have fun!" It's in no way surprising that some large percentage of professional athletes go broke within a few years of leaving the league. Kwame Brown of the Bullets was 18 and grew up in a trailer in rural Georgia, the NBA handed him a giant basket of money, and he was living in some penthouse eating KFC every meal, with scores of Brooks Brothers suits cast about on the floor because he didn't know how to get them cleaned.

Archived