Who's in the Orioles' top 10 prospects for 2015?

Frobby

Off the cuff, here's what I've got:

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Reyes

4. Sisco

5. Stewart

6. Mancini

7. Mountcastle

8. Hess

9. Fenter

10. Gunkel

Two observations: One, people need to get on the Gray Fenter train. Two, the system isn't really as barren as you'd imagine from seeing a 26-30 ranking. There's obviously very little in the way of top-end talent (the two guys who fit that description have thrown a combined 22 innings this season), but there's a wealth of high-probability bullpen arms, which I feel the baseball cognoscenti tend to undervalue, and there's significant upside in the lower levels, particularly from the most recent draft class. Very few who I'd call serious prospects, but lots and lots of interesting follows. So what I'm saying is that while there's no justification for the system to be ranked highly right now, there's reason to be optimistic for the future.

You've made me a follower of Fenter. For some reason I kept thinking he was one our senior signs in the top 10 picks. But here's a guy that could be in our top 30(Really it's just a good story).

Christian Turnipseed did not give up a run this season at Aberdeen. 28.1 IP. He's 23 and was a 28th rd draft pick.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not overwrought. You jumped into the deep end of the pool with an anchor chained around your neck. You have no idea about what you are talking about. I think you know that. I hope you know that.

I ask you again. If the people who know more about prospects than you (which apparently is everyone) are 100% confident that Reyes is a top 10 prospect and a much better prospect than Triggs, why wouldn't you use that knowledge and information when constructing your list? Are you being willfully ignorant?

* Single-A Delmarva third baseman Jomar Reyes, 18, was the second overall pick last night by Licey in the Dominican Winter League draft. Red Sox prospect Rafael Devers was first.
There is this from today.

You sound a little overwrought. No sense in getting too excited about my picks. I will readily admit that I do not follow the low minors closely. The reason for that is that the players are far away from the majors and so many things can happen in their development that will stall them. I pay more attention to the AA and AAA because the players are a call away from the majors.

Reyes is a big, strong kid playing above his level for his age. He is progressing well. He has not found his power yet hitting just 5 homers where the league leader has 19. That doesn't say he wouldn't in time but he hasn't yet. Orioles.com say he probably does not stay at 3B because of lack of range. He will move to 1B according to them. Personally I will wait to move Reyes to the Top 10 when he shows power or the ability to hit better than .278. Yes, I know he is playing above his level but that is the way I see for a guy in the low minors with a long way to go to get to the majors. The Top 10 can wait.

Triggs had a great regular season at AA as a closer.

43G, 61 IP, 1.03 ERA, 17 for 17 S, 42 H, 70K, 0.869 WHIP

That he is 26 in meaningless in the O's organization. If you have not realize that with Caleb making the team at 27 and Drake at 28 then you are not paying attention. Buck and Dan care about ability not age.

I think any baseball analyst would gong you on the bolded comment. Age matters a ton - and it's no different for the O's. Enjoy the rare exceptions - like Caleb - but enjoy them because you understand that they are... rare exceptions.

For a teenager like Reyes (who I have as #1), look at their extra base hits - not homers - recognizing that a lot of the doubles they hit now would be homeruns when they fill out and get stronger. For example, take a kid who hits 5 homers and 30 doubles over a kid who hits 12 homers and 15 doubles.

I think any baseball analyst would gong you on the bolded comment. Age matters a ton - and it's no different for the O's. Enjoy the rare exceptions - like Caleb - but enjoy them because you understand that they are... rare exceptions.

For a teenager like Reyes (who I have as #1), look at their extra base hits - not homers - recognizing that a lot of the doubles they hit now would be homeruns when they fill out and get stronger. For example, take a kid who hits 5 homers and 30 doubles over a kid who hits 12 homers and 15 doubles.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this, and believe Reyes deserves a very high ranking based on what he's done at a very young age, I find Triggs fairly intriquing. His career has progressed kind of slowly, but he's never had an ERA over 2.93 in the minors and his K/BB ratio and WHIP also have been good at every level. It's a little surprising to me that Triggs didn't get promoted to Norfolk some time this season, given that he was repeating AA and dominating there. I'd like to know more about him.

It may be as much for the future as it is for this season. I'm not sure how long they get his "rights" by drafting him this year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's getting everyday AB's in winter ball this year. I don't expect he will. Winning is very important to those teams. They are about winning, not developing.

http://www.pennantchase.com/lgRules.aspx?lgid=157

http://www.beisboldelcaribe.com/home/

While I agree wholeheartedly with this, and believe Reyes deserves a very high ranking based on what he's done at a very young age, I find Triggs fairly intriquing. His career has progressed kind of slowly, but he's never had an ERA over 2.93 in the minors and his K/BB ratio and WHIP also have been good at every level. It's a little surprising to me that Triggs didn't get promoted to Norfolk some time this season, given that he was repeating AA and dominating there. I'd like to know more about him.

And with him, part of the age issue is explainable. It's not like he's been in the minors for 8 years and all of a sudden a light bulb went on.

It's a little surprising to me that Triggs didn't get promoted to Norfolk some time this season, given that he was repeating AA and dominating there. I'd like to know more about him.
And with him, part of the age issue is explainable. It's not like he's been in the minors for 8 years and all of a sudden a light bulb went on.

Givens never went to Norfolk, sometime they like to see these guys facing livelier bats.

When Reyes gets stronger and the doubles turn into homers then he belong in the Top 10 IMO. I will wait.

So it's the park and has nothing to do with livelier bats. I wouldn't think that would be much of a factor with promoting or not promoting relievers to Norfolk but I could be wrong. Certainly hasn't prevented them from promoting hitters and starters to Norfolk.

Bad semantics again on my part. I stand corrected. Givens.

When Reyes gets stronger and the doubles turn into homers then he belong in the Top 10 IMO. I will wait.

You won't wait. You will just wait to say if everyone else was wrong or right. And obviously, someone at age 19 is far from the majors. So there are many things that could trip him up.

I will tell you this, when the trades were attempted, it was not Triggs inclusion that held the deals up. Not one of them.

You won't wait. You will just wait to say if everyone else was wrong or right. And obviously, someone at age 19 is far from the majors. So there are many things that could trip him up.

I will tell you this, when the trades were attempted, it was not Triggs inclusion that held the deals up. Not one of them.

So does trade value determine who should be in the Top 10 prospects. I would think that as a #1 draft choice Brandon Snyder had good trade value especially after doing well at rookie ball and Aberdeen at 18. Doesn't mean he would have a good major league career. However his trade value was much less when he couldn't hit at AAA after a few tries.

I don't know what Reyes will become. But then neither does anyone else.

So does trade value determine who should be in the Top 10 prospects. I would think that as a #1 draft choice Brandon Snyder had good trade value especially after doing well at rookie ball and Aberdeen at 18. Doesn't mean he would have a good major league career. However his trade value was much less when he couldn't hit at AAA after a few tries.

I don't know what Reyes will become. But then neither does anyone else.

Probably does actually. Snyder had many years to prove that he was not a guy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mychal Givens named to <a href="https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica">@BaseballAmerica</a>'s minor league all-star team. Givens a 1st-team selection. Trey Mancini was 2nd-team pick. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">September 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived