Who's in the Orioles' top 10 prospects for 2015?

Frobby

Jomar Reyes turns 19 in February. Just saying.

Of course, Wildcard has to wait on Jomar Reyes the 18 year old. Yet he has Ryan Mountcastle, also 18, at #5 on his list. The same Ryan Mountcastle who put up a .760 OPS in rookie ball with 9 walks and 36 strikeouts. Last year in the GCL as a 17 year old, Reyes put up a .758 OPS with better plate discipline numbers and more home runs. No reason to wait on Mountcastle. He has him pegged at #5. Earth to Wildcard!

Good catch. By the way. I have met Jomar. I have seen Jomar, I believe in Jomar. I go watch these guys. I am no scout, But I still watch them in person.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jomar Reyes turns 19 in February. Just saying.

Of course, Wildcard has to wait on Jomar Reyes the 18 year old. Yet he has Ryan Mountcastle, also 18, at #5 on his list. The same Ryan Mountcastle who put up a .760 OPS in rookie ball with 9 walks and 36 strikeouts. Last year in the GCL as a 17 year old, Reyes put up a .758 OPS with better plate discipline numbers and more home runs. No reason to wait on Mountcastle. He has him pegged at #5. Earth to Wildcard!

From what I have read Mountcastle is a pretty good SS who hit for average and a pretty decent OBP. That is what he is projected to do to get to the majors.

What I have read about Reyes is that he is a power hitter that has not come into his power yet and is not playing the position he will not likely play in the majors. I have high hopes for Reyes developing into what is expected of him. When he does I will think of him as a Top 10 prospect.

I am not trying to tell anyone else how to rate players. I think they are entitled to their opinion.

Brandon Snyder had good trade value especially after doing well at rookie ball and Aberdeen at 18. Doesn't mean he would have a good major league career. However his trade value was much less when he couldn't hit at AAA after a few tries.
I had several great talks with Brandon about that. In fact I went to the AFL to watch him when he was on the cusp of becoming a major leaguer. He was ONLY behind Grant Desme in batting that year. Grant became a priest, and Brandon got his cups of coffee and had a major league career. He was simply too old at that point. Too old. To be on any one's PROSPECT list. Age.

I am not trying to tell anyone else how to rate players. I think they are entitled to their opinion.

I do too. There are recognized methodologies though. You accept that. Right? I believe that your opinion is that Jomar may never have the major league career that Triggs will. And pitchers are funky that way, sometimes they can sneak in for a while. But just because you think that Triggs is better right now is not a reason to really rank him higher. Is it?

It is really hard to project what 16 years olds will do too. But, teams give them millions every year. What everyone is trying to tell you is that when they are young, they are still project-able. When they are old, they may simply be useful.

I accept that.

Triggs is a step away from the majors at 26. What he did at AA may get him a shot.

Reyes is young. Strong. May develop into to something great. Or not. We will know more the longer we wait to see what happens with him.

I do too. There are recognized methodologies though. You accept that. Right? I believe that your opinion is that Jomar may never have the major league career that Triggs will. And pitchers are funky that way, sometimes they can sneak in for a while. But just because you think that Triggs is better right now is not a reason to really rank him higher. Is it?

I think their is an opportunity that is opening for Triggs or any other pitcher in the O's organization that does well going into the 2016 season. With Hunter gone. O'Day a free agent and Britton maybe a good candidate to be a starter next year, there are late inning spots to be filled. Givens, Drake and Triggs are guys position to try to take those spots.

Opportunity is part of having a major league career. Ability is another part and Triggs has show that this year. So he is positioned.

Reyes has potential. Unrealized potential at this point. A power hitter with little power. A possible 1B not playing 1B. We have to wait to see what happens.

You said that I think Triggs will have a better career than Reyes. I don't know that. I think Triggs is closer to a major league career. He is near a finished product as a prospect. Reyes has a long way to go.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One other recognizable name to diehard O's fans thats going to instructional league: Inf Jomar Reyes, 18, may have best raw power in org</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">September 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reyes is the only position player who played full-season ball last year in the Orioles' system with All-Star upside. In the DWL draft, the players who went after him include:

- the "untouchable" Jorge Mateo (Yankees)

- $725,000 signing Richard Urena (Jays)

- BA/BP top 100 prospect Amed Rosario (Mets)

- BP no. 84 Francisco Mejia (Indians)

Reyes was also the youngest player to play in the SAL, let alone get 300+ PAs there. I've seen scouts give him 70 raw power and in his swing it's easy to see why. If you're not extremely excited about seeing this dude in an Orioles uniform, I don't even know what to tell you.

e: Also, for those *cough* who think he has "no power," he ranked sixth in the SAL in ISO among players 20 or younger. And again, he's also the youngest of them.

I think I'd actually have Reyes at #1, which doesn't really say as much about him as it does my faith (or lack thereof) in the walking wounded of Bundy and Harvey.

1. Reyes

2. Harvey

3. Bundy

4. Sisco

5. Mancini

6. Givens

7. Hess

8. Stewart

9. Mountcastle

10. Miranda (probably a reach, but I'm intrigued)

Jorge Rondon is in the majors but still has prospect status. Rey Navarro is in the same boat. Are they better prospects than Reyes also? Why is Triggs better than Rondon? Why not Oliver Drake over Triggs. Drake dominated in AAA. Why Triggs? Is he your flavor of the month or something? How much do you really know about Triggs. Do you know what his velocity is, what pitches he has? Anything?

Rondon is not a closer. He may be a good reliever next year but he is not a closer when he closes 10/15 for 66% in 2014.

Drake has taken the long road to get his chance in the majors. His numbers are good this year and he may get a shot to take one of the late innings spots in the pen next year.

I know Triggs has had more strikeout and inning pitched in 3 of his 4 majors league season. I know his number are eye popping this year. He has never had an ERA over 2.90 or a WHIP over 1.15 in four seasons in the minors.

No. I think Reyes is far enough away that no one knows what he will be. Triggs major league career is closer to happening.

I do not really know much about Triggs. I do know that the Baysox had never lost while leading in the eighth this season before he blew the two run save last night in game one of the playoffs.

Who said anything about Rondon being a closer? Are you seriously thinking that Triggs is future ML closer based on his save percentage in AA as a 26 year old?

BTW, how much do you know about those 10 or 15 save opportunities? 15 saves is a low total. Maybe he was the setup guy a lot of the time. Using saves verses save opportunities is a fool's errand. Darren O'Day has 2 saves in 6 opportunities this year. I wouldn't say that O'Day couldn't close off of that.

Why are you having so much trouble answering the other question which I've already asked twice. It's not a trick question. Why would you ignore all of the knowlege of posters and websites with tons more knowledge on the subject of prospects than what you have?

I have answered the question. You just don't like the answer. Reyes is a young player playing at a level above his age which is good. But he is a power hitter who has shown little power in actually play this year. He is also not playing the position he is projected to play in the majors and reportedly may move for lack of range.

I like his power potential. I hope he achieves it. But until he does things on the field to justify a Top 10 rating IMO he will not be there. And when he does he will be there.

As far as Tony and others projecting him high. Its fine with me. I respect those opinions. They just don't happen to be mine.

Do you remember Billy Rowell? Of course you do. 1st round draft choice. Ninth pick overall. Had great power in practice. Rated high. Did well his first year. Most homers in a season was 11 at Frederick. Never made the majors. Talk is cheap. Do it on the field. That is what matters.

When Reyes hits well enough to deserve being in the top 10 I will move him up on my list.

Archived