Who's in the Orioles' top 10 prospects for 2015?

Frobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Reyes

2. Harvey

3. Bundy

4. Sisco

5. Mancini

6. Hess

7. Givens

8. Gunkel

9. Tolliver

10. Mountcastle/Stewart (I'm not smart enough to pick between them - not that I'm smart enough that any of my picks mean much. If I have to make a choice, I pick Stewart.)

Taking Givens out, I have

1. Reyes

2. Harvey

3. Bundy

4. Sisco

5. Mancini

6. Hess

7. Gunkel

8. Tolliver

9. Stewart

10. Mountcastle

2-3 years from now, I think we're going to find out that Mountcastle and Stewart aren't even the top 2 position players from this draft. I'd go with McKenna, Ferguson, and Curran. For now, I'll go with Mountcastle and Stewart with trepidation.

What about Jonah Heim?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/149930-Catcher-Jonah-Heim-back-Shorebird-Roster-Transactions-Aug-31-Heim-Russell?highlight=jonah+heim

2-3 years from now, I think we're going to find out that Mountcastle and Stewart aren't even the top 2 position players from this draft. I'd go with McKenna, Ferguson, and Curran. For now, I'll go with Mountcastle and Stewart with trepidation.

It is a shame Stewart is off to such a poor start. I do think McKenna, Ferguson and Curran were very strong picks.

I didn't realize how naive you were about prospects until just now. Your posts about Mancini being a top 5 prospect because he was among the 5 players being considered for minor league player of the year were the first sign. These posts are the clincher. You should have absorbed some knowledge from more astute posters like Stotle, eb45, and COC, by now.

I guess we will see. Time will tell.

Several people have Givens on their list, but I don't believe he'll have rookie status next year, because he will have spent more than 45 days on the major league roster.

You didn't read post #7 in this thread. COT's says September does not count. Givens has 35 days in the majors prior to September 1st. That means he will be a rookies next year if he does not pass 50 innings this season.

Off the cuff, here's what I've got:

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Reyes

4. Sisco

5. Stewart

6. Mancini

7. Mountcastle

8. Hess

9. Fenter

10. Gunkel

Two observations: One, people need to get on the Gray Fenter train. Two, the system isn't really as barren as you'd imagine from seeing a 26-30 ranking. There's obviously very little in the way of top-end talent (the two guys who fit that description have thrown a combined 22 innings this season), but there's a wealth of high-probability bullpen arms, which I feel the baseball cognoscenti tend to undervalue, and there's significant upside in the lower levels, particularly from the most recent draft class. Very few who I'd call serious prospects, but lots and lots of interesting follows. So what I'm saying is that while there's no justification for the system to be ranked highly right now, there's reason to be optimistic for the future.

Time will tell what? Whether you are right or wrong? It might tell whether Reyes becomes a ML player or not and whether Triggs becomes a ML reliever or even a closer. We don't need time to know that your thought process is off the charts bad on this one.

Trap alert!

If EVERY person on the Hangout, particularly ones who have a lot of prospect knowledge, PLUS every so called expert publication and website have Jomar Reyes in their top ten, even top five, and NOT ONE PERSON has Andrew Triggs in their top 10, wouldn't that make you question your thought process on how you came to the conclusion that Triggs is #10 and Jomar Reyes is not in the top ten at all?

Triggs is 26,

April 4, 2015 Kansas City Royals traded RHP Andrew Triggs to Baltimore Orioles for cash.

Triggs had a nice season.

Triggs is no top ten prospect.

Triggs is 26,

Triggs had a nice season.

Triggs is no top ten prospect.

I concur, but there are "outs" if you will - for his advanced age. He was a college kid and came back from a tough injury. And he's done brilliantly, so I can understand those who have him higher than I'd put him.

Time will tell what? Whether you are right or wrong? It might tell whether Reyes becomes a ML player or not and whether Triggs becomes a ML reliever or even a closer. We don't need time to know that your thought process is off the charts bad on this one.

Trap alert!

If EVERY person on the Hangout, particularly ones who have a lot of prospect knowledge, PLUS every so called expert publication and website have Jomar Reyes in their top ten, even top five, and NOT ONE PERSON has Andrew Triggs in their top 10, wouldn't that make you question your thought process on how you came to the conclusion that Triggs is #10 and Jomar Reyes is not in the top ten at all?

You sound a little overwrought. No sense in getting too excited about my picks. I will readily admit that I do not follow the low minors closely. The reason for that is that the players are far away from the majors and so many things can happen in their development that will stall them. I pay more attention to the AA and AAA because the players are a call away from the majors.

Reyes is a big, strong kid playing above his level for his age. He is progressing well. He has not found his power yet hitting just 5 homers where the league leader has 19. That doesn't say he wouldn't in time but he hasn't yet. Orioles.com say he probably does not stay at 3B because of lack of range. He will move to 1B according to them. Personally I will wait to move Reyes to the Top 10 when he shows power or the ability to hit better than .278. Yes, I know he is playing above his level but that is the way I see for a guy in the low minors with a long way to go to get to the majors. The Top 10 can wait.

Triggs had a great regular season at AA as a closer.

43G, 61 IP, 1.03 ERA, 17 for 17 S, 42 H, 70K, 0.869 WHIP

That he is 26 in meaningless in the O's organization. If you have not realize that with Caleb making the team at 27 and Drake at 28 then you are not paying attention. Buck and Dan care about ability not age.

The O's will have a lot of trouble adding the starter(s) they need this off season with Chen probably leaving. Britton may be a logical choice to move to the rotation. He was a starter in the past. He has proven he can get major league hitters out in an impressive fashion. Not saying it will happen but my faith in the O's adding a starter better than he would likely be in pretty low.

Givens, Drake and Triggs all have a pretty good chance to show they belong in the majors in ST. The wait and see is to see if the O's protect Triggs from the Rule 5 draft. That will be telling.

I don't berate anyone for their choices of the Top 10. I have my reasons for not including Reyes just yet. If others do it probably because they know a lot more about him than I do. Triggs is close to the majors. Could be there next year. The closer and setup roles are highly paid in baseball these days. I am fine with who I picked.

Archived