Perlozzoed

Tony-OH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proof positive, in a matter of speaking, that a manager does indeed have a big effect on the outcome of the game.

We need a new manager!!!!!

A combo special of a new owner and magare would be so sweet.

Wishful ruminations on my part.

Here's what makes it worse. In the post game press conference, where he KIND OF admitted he screwed up which put Birkins in a bad spot, he was the most adamant about his biggest screw up. You know how he kind of waffles around questions, trying to middle road just about everything? When somebody asked him about using other pitchers (specifically Ray, but the intent of the question was obvious) for longer than an inning his concrete, almost angered answer was "No, wasn't going to happen."

OMGWTFBBQ!!!1111

Fire Sam Perlozzo now.

Sure, Perlazzo screwed up. We know he won't get fired for now, but when he does, Leo would probably be gone (his choice) as well. Right? I guess we have to stick with Sammy to keep Leo.

Excellent point by another poster as to what did Sam learn as a coach for all those years.....

I agree with everything that was said here.

I wonder what Perlozzo thought going into the 12th? What would he have done had Birkins thrown a perfect inning? Go on to the 13th and expect another... then the 14th... Basically, he decided to burn through the biggest non-September pitching staff in major league history and then place the fate of the game, no matter if it lasted 12 innings or 29, on Kurt Birkins' shoulders. Birkins being the 8th-best reliever and probably 12th-best pitcher on the team.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

What we need is a baseball version of the roommate switch. We need to figure out some way to get rid of Perlozzo but keep Mazzone. I'm open for any suggestions that don't involve a Menage a trois. :)

Sure, Perlazzo screwed up. We know he won't get fired for now, but when he does, Leo would probably be gone (his choice) as well. Right? I guess we have to stick with Sammy to keep Leo.

Excellent point by another poster as to what did Sam learn as a coach for all those years.....

This is yet another example of the Peter Principle. Perlozzo was a good coach, apparently. So he got promoted to the next highest level... and he's pretty clearly not up to the job. Ray Miller was another case.

Just like a good middle manager at a big company being promoted to CEO, and and just not being cut out for it. Sometimes the skill sets simply don't match up well enough.

First i will say that I am not happy at all with the way this team has lost several games. However the team is not going to lose games at the rate that they have if the pitching stays the way it has. We are team that is flawed but it seams we have very good pitching and we should beatup the lesser teams in the league. We need Ramon and Payton back fast. we also need to win atleast 5 of the next 6 games. I don't agree with all of Sammy's moves but I really can't believe the offense is has bad has it has been. But accross the league it seems offense is down.

Glad to see everyone has come aboard the SS Fire Perlozzo. It's just a shame that he's going to be the manager the entire season. No way in hell Angelos fires "his guy."

Especially since he'll win plenty of games on virtue of the players talent alone. Paging Mike Hargrove, Mike Hargrove, your style of managing has been cited.

First i will say that I am not happy at all with the way this team has lost several games. However the team is not going to lose games at the rate that they have if the pitching stays the way it has. We are team that is flawed but it seams we have very good pitching and we should beatup the lesser teams in the league. We need Ramon and Payton back fast. we also need to win atleast 5 of the next 6 games. I don't agree with all of Sammy's moves but I really can't believe the offense is has bad has it has been. But accross the league it seems offense is down.

As I noted in another thread, I really do wonder whether the Royals and Devil Rays won't be dressing up in their uniforms saying, "finally, playing the Birds, NOW we can pick up a few in the win column".

Let's do get Ramon and Jay back to see how things go though!!!

As I noted in another thread, I really do wonder whether the Royals and Devil Rays won't be dressing up in their uniforms saying, "finally, playing the Birds, NOW we can pick up a few in the win column".

Let's do get Ramon and Jay back to see how things go though!!!

I have no doubt that both of these teams think they have a great chance to beat us, and I wouldn't be surprised if they take 5 of 7 from us. Both of these teams have good, young players and if our bats continue to be silent, we will be hard-pressed to beat these teams.

If you start to put the screws to Sam (scoring only 1 run) you really begin to see what kind of manager he is.

BTW, where are all the apologists at on this. I'd like to hear their opinion. SilentJamess? BTerp?

Perlozzo can't hit. Is it his fault the money part of the lineup - the 1-6 hitters - went 3 for 30?

At some point the players have to play and do their jobs. This one is on the offense. You shouldn't lose a game when you have home field and 11 scoreless innings from you pitching staff. So what if each reliever had pitched 2 innings each? We would have just waited until the 18th inning for the worst guy on the staff (Birkins) to flinch.

You can't win a game when you score 0 runs...

Perlozzo can't hit. Is it his fault the money part of the lineup - the 1-6 hitters - went 3 for 30?

At some point the players have to play and do their jobs. This one is on the offense. You shouldn't lose a game when you have home field and 11 scoreless innings from you pitching staff. So what if each reliever had pitched 2 innings each? We would have just waited until the 18th inning for the worst guy on the staff (Birkins) to flinch.

You can't win a game when you score 0 runs...

And part of the reason they scored zero runs was that Paul Bako hit five times. And Jay Gibbons had to hit against a lefty. And Brian Roberts was allowed to hit right-handed.

Yes, the middle of the lineup needs to come through, but they won't every night. And when they don't we're counting on 9th-place hitters from the Omaha Royals to pick up the slack.

BTW, where are all the apologists at on this. I'd like to hear their opinion. SilentJamess? BTerp?
Yeah, really. Seriously, NOBODY is gonna defend Perlozzo here?

Anybody?

*crickets*

OK, I will. Sam is actually a robot. He is programmed not to allow any relief pitcher to throw more than one inning. It's not his fault, as "he" is not an actual sentient being, but rather a cyborg.

And that's...that's all I got.

Long time lurker who really does not post but after last nights game I went to sleep thinking that Perlozzo's horrible managing was going to drive to me to post for the first time in a while.

Well, as I expected, I got into work this morning and saw this thread already bashing Perlozzo's inexplicable use of the bullpen last night (what is this Little League where everyone gets to pitch an inning???) and our pathetic bench biting us in the a** again.

Just wanted to add two depressing thoughts to the thread.

1) Perlozzo, if he stays all year, is going to turn what could be a 83-86 win team, into a 72-74 win team just because he has no idea what he is doing.

2) Perlozzo is not going anywhere this year because he is Peter's handpicked yes-man. The FO had their chance and blew it with Mazilli, now Peter's guy is here for the duration. Sad.

Archived