Perlozzoed

Tony-OH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's really quite an unfounded statement. Yeah, there's this "He's Angelos' boy" sentiment, but I really have to think that there's a limit.

Well but what is that limit. I'd have to think that the team has to do really bad for Angelos to fire Perlozzo during the season.

I've posted this several times already today, and I am definitely not a "pile it on" kind of guy, but I think Perlozzo's moves last night make his moves earlier in the week even worse.

Imagine -

- SP won't pitch Birkins on Monday with a five run lead

- SP won't pitch Birkins on Tuesday with a two or three run deficit

- SP did not ask ANYONE last night to go more than an inning in a TIE game, but SP did use Guthrie for three innings on Tuesday and Bradford for 1.1 innings with a two run lead on Monday!

- just on Sunday, Joe Torre asked his starter to go an inning on his between starts pitch day. Even if Leo uses a different workout regimen, one or two guys could have been in their between start pitch day.

So, if SP won't use Birkins unless he absolutely is forced too - isn't that an indirect concession that a decent bat like Knott on the bench would be more useful?

It's still unbelievable to me how Davey Johnson had the cajones to bench multiple starters and started his RH bench hitters in a playoff game facing Randy Johnson, but in a game in April, SP can't insert Gomez for Roberts or Gibbons and does not have a respectable RH bat from the bench.

And part of the reason they scored zero runs was that Paul Bako hit five times. And Jay Gibbons had to hit against a lefty. And Brian Roberts was allowed to hit right-handed.

Yes, the middle of the lineup needs to come through, but they won't every night. And when they don't we're counting on 9th-place hitters from the Omaha Royals to pick up the slack.

I don't have the problem with the bullpen usage that every one else has but we definitely should have had House or Knott available to PH for Bako in the 7th. Gomez should have PH forGibbons as well.

It makes you wonder why Dempsey quit the Bullpen Coach job to move to the booth.

He has said that he wants a chance to manage in the Majors. He also made reference to the idea that not a lot of bullpen coaches get tapped to become managers.

Maybe he feels that as an analyst for MASN, he will gain better exposure. Or maybe he feels he can use his position as "Monday Morning Quarterback" to point out everything Perlozzo does wrong.

Dempsey compiled a 303-264 record in two stints as a AAA manager, including a PCL title in 1994. After what we've endured over the last nine years, a .534 winning percentage actually looks promising.

I wonder if he left his job on the coaching staff to distance himself from what he predicted would be a train wreck, but took a job at MASN where he would be close-by, in touch with Management, and able to keep up his status as a long-term fan favorite?

Could he actually be so devious? Would you want someone so cunning and self-centered to manage your ball club?

I just might.... :eek:

It makes you wonder why Dempsey quit the Bullpen Coach job to move to the booth.

He has said that he wants a chance to manage in the Majors. He also made reference to the idea that not a lot of bullpen coaches get tapped to become managers.

Maybe he feels that as an analyst for MASN, he will gain better exposure. Or maybe he feels he can use his position as "Monday Morning Quarterback" to point out everything Perlozzo does wrong.

Dempsey compiled a 303-264 record in two stints as a AAA manager, including a PCL title in 1994. After what we've endured over the last nine years, a .534 winning percentage actually looks promising.

I wonder if he left his job on the coaching staff to distance himself from what he predicted would be a train wreck, but took a job at MASN where he would be close-by, in touch with Management, and able to keep up his status as a long-term fan favorite?

Could he actually be so devious? Would you want someone so cunning and self-centered to manage your ball club?

I just might.... :eek:

I would have to say yes. Ambition is underrated in this country .... people who want to succeed do succeed.

Archived