Perlozzoed

Tony-OH

What killed me was Patterson bunting to move up the runners for Bako. Why???

Sammy never thinks about the situation when sac bunting. He loves to do it anytime he can. I think he believes that it makes him look smart. He'll do it in the first inning. He'll do it with Bako coming up next. If could do it with the pitcher waiting on deck he would. He just LOVES to sac bunt. That's "good, smart baseball".

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this. There are significant weaknesses in Perlozzo's management, but right now they are being magnified way out of proportion because capable hitters aren't hitting.

Here's the thing.

There are certain games that the team is going to win or lose despite what the manager could have done.

Then there is the subset of games where management/strategy can make a difference. This game probably falls into that subset.

Not using any reliever for more than an inning could have made a difference.

Having 1 or 2 decent pinch hitters on the bench (to pinch hit for Bako or to face Ledezma) could have made a difference.

Simply saying that we lost because the capable hitters aren't hitting is missing the point.

Before this season, there have been several threads about Perlozzo's ability (or lack of) to manage.

The Perlozzo apologists state that Perlozzo hasn't had much to work with. I hope that this contingent can finally stop with this rationalization.

The Perlozzo apologists will say that his team plays hard for him and that he has the respect of the clubhouse. I don't know if this is true. Assuming that it is, is this all we should expect of our manager?

The best thing that you can say about Perlozzo is that he is friends with Mazzone.

On the topic, I said last night to the people we were watching the game with in the 8th that this game ends when he brings in Birkins. This was some of the ugliest managing I have ever seen. You had to know that Leyland was sitting there thinking the same thing:

This guy is using a reliever an inning. We just have to beat him out until he brings in the last pitcher in his bullpen, the guy who hasn't pitched for a week, the guy who is a lefthander, we were 3rd best at hitting them.

This was a bad game for me for several reasons which have probably already been said:

1. Birkins should have been Knott and should have hit for Gibbons, against a lefthander

2. Birkins hadn't pitched, he should have had mop up, or blow out duty

3. Watching Perlozzo coach against Leyland was sad

4. Our pitchers pitched great. I mean they were at top form, and I think they should be lauded for how well they did. That will largely get lost though in a bad win.

5. Our linup might as well look like this...

1. Mendoza

2. Mendoza

3. Mendoza

4. Mendoza

5. Mendoza

6. Mendoza

7. Mendoza

8. Mendoza

9. Mendoza

Does anyone else realize that we do not have 1 hitter hitting over .250. That is not horrible, that AA. Only 2 players have OPS over .800 (Millar, Patterson). We aren't going to beat anyone with that.

What Perlozzo doesn't do well:

1. He calls for the sac bunt and plays small ball way too much.

2. Although he has been given options in the bullpen this year, it's becoming clear that he mismanages the pitching staff.

3. He elects to have quite possibly the worst bench in the majors, even though he has options.

4. The team is mediocre defensively/fundamentally.

5. He doesn't rest his regulars often enough.

6. He is averse to platooning.

What Perlozzo does well:

1. His team supposedly plays hard for him.

2. ????????????????????????????????????? (Can anybody help me fill this column out?..............Bueller............Bueller............)

If there is ever a time for Mr Angelos to micromanage the team it is now.

Mr Angelos make the call. Force the team to drop to 11 pitchers. bring up Knott , & House. or bring them up send Bynum packing and keep 12 pitchers.

I await the my ribbing for the mere suggestion ;)

Hell, I would have pinch hit Gomez for Gibbons then put Bynum in left field. not only do I get a better match up, I get better defense the next inning. But what the hell do I know????

Apparently, as much as me -- since I had called for that move in the Game Thread. ;)

And part of the reason they scored zero runs was that Paul Bako hit five times. And Jay Gibbons had to hit against a lefty. And Brian Roberts was allowed to hit right-handed.

No, he didn't. Chris Gomez was available to PH -- and should have. If Leyland counters with a RHP, then you take your lumps. But, to leave Gibby in there vs. the lefty and then to use Gomez defensively the following inning is just inexcusable. Perlozzo was gonna burn that spot anyway -- why the hell let Gibby hit vs the lefty? :rolleyes:

Witchy

If there is ever a time for Mr Angelos to micromanage the team it is now.

Mr Angelos make the call. Force the team to drop to 11 pitchers. bring up Knott , & House. or bring them up send Bynum packing and keep 12 pitchers.

I await the my ribbing for the mere suggestion ;)

At this point, I don't care if Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dictates it. Something needs to be done.

Apparently, as much as me -- since I had called for that move in the Game Thread. ;)

No, he didn't. Chris Gomez was available to PH -- and should have. If Leyland counters with a RHP, then you take your lumps. But, to leave Gibby in there vs. the lefty and then to use Gomez defensively the following inning is just inexcusable. Perlozzo was gonna burn that spot anyway -- why the hell let Gibby hit vs the lefty? :rolleyes:

Witchy

Yeah but if he counters with a RHP, we have solved the problem. If not with Gomez but with the rest of the lineup. they get to bat against a RHP, and if they change to another LHP after that, we have went deeper into the pen. Win/Win situation.

Archived