The importance of a J.J. Hardy bounce-back

Frobby

I'm going to indulge my contrarian impulses in this bash Pedro Alvarez thread and say something about JJ Hardy. While I was watching one of the worst Orioles team performances I've seen in a very long time and idly sticking pins in my Buck Showalter doll, I was actively pining for the return of JJ Hardy.

That's all...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Someone hit 25 baseballs at J.J. Hardy today, and he fielded them. Such things will continue to happen in Sarasota. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Jon Meoli (@JonMeoli) <a href="

">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good to hear Hardy is back to baseball activities. My guess is we're looking at the end of June before he's back.

I do realize that errors aren't the only measure of defense, but I miss Hardy's steadiness. He's averaged 9 errors per 162 games as an Oriole -- Manny's on a 30 error per 162 game pace. Give me Hardy's consistency at SS and Manny's range and arm at 3B, and I am a very happy camper.

Good to hear Hardy is back to baseball activities. My guess is we're looking at the end of June before he's back.

I do realize that errors aren't the only measure of defense, but I miss Hardy's steadiness. He's averaged 9 errors per 162 games as an Oriole -- Manny's on a 30 error per 162 game pace. Give me Hardy's consistency at SS and Manny's range and arm at 3B, and I am a very happy camper.

I might also add that he is a more steady type of hitter at the plate than is the tandem of Flaherty/Janish.

J.J. is one of the most sure handed SS's I've ever seen. Cal Ripken had 25, 26, and 26 errors his first 3 years at SS.

BB-ref lists J.J. as having the 4th-highest career fielding percentage of all time at SS. Interestingly, 4 of the top 5 are active:

1. Tulowitzki

2. Vizquel

3. Rollins

4. Hardy

5. Simmons

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/fielding_perc_ss_career.shtml

Just a guess but I think the major league fields are better than they were back in the day. You hardly ever see a bad hop nowadays.

That's true, and IMO official scorers have become more generous over the years.

Archived