Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

There was no reason to:

1- Assume the O's outfielders would continue to play that badly

2- Assume Parra would continue to play so well on offense

I'm not playing revisionist history here, go dig up the thread, I said the exact same thing then. Parra had been in steep decline on defense and his offense was buoyed by an unsustainable bump in BABIP.

I don't doubt that you said that, I'm sure others did as well. I think the O's took at legitimate shot at improving an area of need. This team was a game out of a playoff spot, and clearly our corner outfielders were not playing well. Parra had played well/been lucky for several months.....there was a shot he could continue that level for another few months, and at the time, it was reasonable to think that might be enough to get us into the post season.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't doubt that you said that, I'm sure others did as well. I think the O's took at legitimate shot at improving an area of need. This team was a game out of a playoff spot, and clearly our corner outfielders were not playing well. Parra had played well/been lucky for several months.....there was a shot he could continue that level for another few months, and at the time, it was reasonable to think that might be enough to get us into the post season.

I can see that. I view it more as a move born out of desperation. Which isn't a good place to be dealing from.

On the bright side the move may have influenced the Hunter trade which opened up a spot for Givens.

There was no reason to:

1- Assume the O's outfielders would continue to play that badly

2- Assume Parra would continue to play so well on offense

I'm not playing revisionist history here, go dig up the thread, I said the exact same thing then. Parra had been in steep decline on defense and his offense was buoyed by an unsustainable bump in BABIP.

There was also no reason whatsoever to expect Parra would seamlessly transition from one of the best 100-game stretches of his MLB career to what may have been the worst 55-game stretch of his career. The most likely case was 55 games of a .730 OPS and slightly above average defense, and he gave us a .625 and -7 defense.

There was also no reason whatsoever to expect Parra would seamlessly transition from one of the best 100-game stretches of his MLB career to what may have been the worst 55-game stretch of his career. The most likely case was 55 games of a .730 OPS and slightly above average defense, and he gave us a .625 and -7 defense.

True, the floor I used was replacement level.

I'm not suggesting that I predicted him to play at a -3 win pace for the O's.

My point at the time was that there was a fair probability that he wouldn't outperform the guys the O's already had.

How about if you are a contender and are fighting for a playoff spot. Or doesn't that count?

That's just it Weams ...they weren't a contender. It's true they kinda hung around. But they played a lot of mediocre ball and the rotation was bad. It was stupid to hang in when you knew by watching the team they wouldn't have done anything even if they by some remote chance would've snuck in.

When DD couldn't get a pitching upgrade at the deadline he should be been smart enough to go the other way.

Somewhere else I read a comment by you that the ownership felt like they were going for it with the 117 million payroll. Only problem in reality is that they let Cruz and his 30/100 leave and Nick walked and they weren't replaced by any real talent. How is that going for it?

Someone here insisted that if we had resigned Nick and or Cruz other guys would've been moved to cover the increase.

It's just...Johnny. They were. And then Gonzo and Parra both got real crappy. And Adam got REAL hurt. And the two pitchers we were counting on to start, both got hurt when we needed them.

True facts. We needed Parra to solve the glaring hole in the OF. He didn't. Norris was terrible. Gonzo and Tillman got hurt and were ineffective. We had 3/5ths our rotation have pretty much worst case scenario type seasons. Just goes to show you how great the bullpen was.

O'day is the first domino to fall. Just like Miller signed early last year. As much as we want to talk about Davis and other FA's or trade scenarios, this is a really big deal. If we lose O'day, our pen takes a huge hit. O'day just isn't a clean inning reliever. He comes in during all the big jams, to face the best hitters, in the most pressurized spots. Losing him is going to hurt. Losing him to the red sox would be a gut punch.

He apparently has offers in hand right now. I'm hoping we're at 3/21-24 and making it hard for him to leave.

It's just...Johnny. They were. And then Gonzo and Parra both got real crappy. And Adam got REAL hurt. And the two pitchers we were counting on to start, both got hurt when we needed them.

Well we don't agree then. The Orioles looked bad from the beginning last year. The only starter that was any good was Chen. Ulbaldo was much better than the prior season but still not good for half the season.

As I said they hung around...but that's all!

Well we don't agree then. The Orioles looked bad from the beginning last year. The only starter that was any good was Chen. Ulbaldo was much better than the prior season but still not good for half the season.

As I said they hung around...but that's all!

Our starting pitchers let us down and our deadline pick up flopped. That is all that happened.

Our starting pitchers let us down and our deadline pick up flopped. That is all that happened.

And when they didn't have the prospects to bring in pitching reinforcements in he should've know to go the other way.

Just like they can't pick an outfielder Lough, Snider, De Aza, and Parra. All produced for their former teams and then underperformed for the O's.

And when they didn't have the prospects to bring in pitching reinforcements in he should've know to go the other way.

Just like they can't pick an outfielder Lough, Snider, De Aza, and Parra. All produced for their former teams and then underperformed for the O's.

Our prospects got hurt after the trade.

Archived