Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have liked to have spend that money elsewhere. Was fully ready to accept Caleb Joseph as the starter next year.

I'm assuming we're not keeping Davis now. Even though this is a one year deal this is money that could have been spent on Davis.

Up to PA. He seems to have made it an objective, like Vlad. Maybe he'll spring for it. Still would need a SP and 2 COF. If ever there were a time to push the payroll it's now.

Apparently MW prayed and God replied saying "15.8 is the greatest Annual Salary you will ever get. Take it. Then next year you can sign a long term contract with an AAS less than 15.8 but it will be good for your family."

Well, if God and Family have both weighed in then at this point MW probably won't grant permission for a straight-up trade with the Dodgers for Brett Anderson. Pity.

If MW is healthy, this could work out well--he could have a career year and give the offense another impact bat, even if for just one season.

But clearly this is not a good development if Matt hits the way he did in 2015. We'd be using $16M of the budget and getting no more production than we'd have gotten from Joseph and Clevenger.

In my dreamworld I see PA seeing Wieters quotes about how much he loves Baltimore. Then he says "We've got Wieters back!". After that picking up the phone and telling DD "We're raising payroll this year to $150 mil! I'm in it to win it!"

Since it is still hanging in the ether it's still possible...till it's not.

If MW is healthy, this could work out well--he could have a career year and give the offense another impact bat, even if for just one season.

But clearly this is not a good development if Matt hits the way he did in 2015. We'd be using $16M of the budget and getting no more production than we'd have gotten from Joseph and Clevenger.

He is most likely. I doubt he'd have taken the QO if he wasn't.

Where was all this negativity when we offered the QO to Matt? I didn't see such a backlash against the Orioles for making the offer.

I love the Hangout, and the analysis on payroll and such, but every now and then I like to just be a fan. And as a fan, I'm glad to have Matt back.

Now, if Angelos holds tight to the payroll even though this is only a one year deal, then that is reason to be angry. VERY angry. But I'm not angry to have Wieters back on this team.

That all said...we know Peter, so we better prepare for Walker/Mancini at first, Reimold and Alverez in the outfield, and the same starting rotation next year, without O'Day to save their arses in the 8th inning.

Archived