Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Everything I read said that other teams were talking in the range of 3/$39 with Kazmir. The Dodgers gave him 3/$48. They basically gave him the 4th year money he was looking for without the 4th year. Sorry, but I don't see how the opt-out clause lowered the amount he will get. In this case, the opt-out clause is just a petty bow the Dodgers threw on top of what was already the biggest offer, by far, to Kazmir. Frankly, I don't see Kazmir exercising the opt-out.

I thought he was looking at 4/60. But I could be mistaken.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought he was looking at 4/60. But I could be mistaken.

That was his initial ask, but the interested teams were offering 3years at between $12 and $13 million per year. That is what was reported. The Dodgers just came in and blew away the competition by throwing money most teams weren't willing to offer at the player yet again. Nothing new. The opt-out in this case is almost an after-thought, IMO.

But he's only getting 8M this year, 8M next year, and 8M in 2018, correct? Or was the 24M deferment incorrectly reported?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's essentially a one year $16MM deal.

He got $5MM signing bonus + $3MM salary for 2016; if he has a decent year he most likely will opt out causing the dodgers to make one $8MM payment.

edit: He was also getting $8MM from 2017-2021 ($40MM)

But he's only getting 8M this year, 8M next year, and 8M in 2018, correct? Or was the 24M deferment incorrectly reported?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to count the derferred money, as well as the $5 million signing bonus he gets this year. He is receiving $48 million to play for three years.

It's essentially a one year $16MM deal.

He got $5MM signing bonus + $3MM salary for 2016; if he has a decent year he most likely will opt out causing the dodgers to make one $8MM payment.

edit: He was also getting $8MM from 2017-2021 ($40MM)

Bingo. This is why teams agree to these crazy opt outs -- LA has every intention of not paying him past $16 mil.

So Kazmir basically accepted the Q.O.? I wonder if we could pry Alex Wood from them? They seem to not be too high on him. Brach for Wood could be interesting. We certainly have the bullpen depth. Brach is going to be hitting arb this year. They were looking to trade for Chapman. This could be a less flashy move, but still strengthen their pen.

So Kazmir basically accepted the Q.O.? I wonder if we could pry Alex Wood from them? They seem to not be too high on him. Brach for Wood could be interesting. We certainly have the bullpen depth. Brach is going to be hitting arb this year. They were looking to trade for Chapman. This could be a less flashy move, but still strengthen their pen.

I think you'll need to includes someone else with Brach to make a deal for Wood. He's definitely a guy I'd go after, though.

I frankly don't understand why he's considered a back-end rotation pitcher. Would definitely try.

Bingo. This is why teams agree to these crazy opt outs -- LA has every intention of not paying him past $16 mil.

Except if he struggles, gets injured, etc. then he can not opt out and they'll be on the hook for that money. It's a benefit to the player, not the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived