Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just came across the wire Cespedes is returning to the Mets as rumored the last few days on a 3 year deal for $75 million. 25 million per year. More than Davis and Upton. Just glad he's not in our division. The Mets were getting ripped nationally for not signing him earlier and when the Nats offered him 5 years and 100 million the NY people became more vocal.

He'll reportedly receive $27.5 million if he opts out after one year.

That's a big number but all of these signings should tell you you're not going to get a bargain in free agency......Nelson Cruz was the exception

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible deal by mets but also amazing that he shot down nats offer. They can't get anyone to take their money except Murphy who was probably not getting anything close from any other team.

If anyone ever suggests clubhouse chemistry doesn't matter to free agents, all you have to do is look at this offseason.

Gordon stays put for relatively cheap, the Orioles keep pretty much all of our guys, heyward chooses to go to maddon and the Cubs, coespedes stays put in NY and meanwhile the Yankees and Nats can't find anyone to come play for them.

To me, the proof is in the pudding. Hopefully we aren't done signing guys this offseason. If we are going to go for it, we really need to go for it.

Trade walked and Mancini and try and get a proven OF. Pitching we can find at the trade deadline if we are still in it.

I don't see how a three year deal is insane. He's signed through age 32 on $25 million a year. Jason Heyward is signed through age 33 at $23-24 mil a year. Both have opt outs.

The only thing about this deal that makes it questionable for the Mets is playing Cespedes in CF.

LOL at all the its a crazy deal or absurd. All it shows is that these owners have plenty of money and can spend it if they are willing to do so. They wouldnt spend it if they didnt have it.

That's a gross oversimplification. When posters were criticizing PA for being cheap over the past two or three years, my "defense" of the FO has been that, while they could afford any given contract, we live in a world with finite/scarce resources. Signing player X to a significant amount of money means that some amount of resources is not available for other players. This isn't some huge one-year deal either. It's a very large AAV with a player opt-out. It's a very generous deal for Cespedes that could easily blow up on them.

Archived