Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Eh. It seems that the guys over at fan graphs are doing some investigation into soft contact, etc. due to the seeming limitation in claiming pitchers don't control anything beyond K, BB and HR. I can agree that it is not indicative of value in and of itself, but it seems that getting outs via GB rather than K is a definitive negative in valuing pitchers via FG's methodology.

I think the data has shown that the ablity to control hard/soft contact is around the margins, not a primary skill. Getting ground balls instead of strikeouts is a negative. A K is an out 99.9% of the time, a grounder 69%.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the data has shown that the ablity to control hard/soft contact is around the margins, not a primary skill. Getting ground balls instead of strikeouts is a negative. A K is an out 99.9% of the time, a grounder 69%.

On a continuum of only GB and K. It gets more difficult when the analysis is something more like:

30% K, 20% GB, 30% LD, 20% FB

Vs.

15% K, 45% GB, 20% LD, 20% FB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With prices that have been thrown around, that sounds like a steal.

Sounds like an Arrieta extension is on the way. And a trade for either Ross or Miller.

EDIT: To be clear "sounds like" was just response to Lackey signing. I wasn't passing anything on from any Cubs folks.

If they go that route, do you still think they make a play for Heyward?

Could, sure. Especially if Soler or Schwarber is shipped out for an arm.

EDIT: To be clear, this isn't me passing along any info from Cubs guys. I was just answering the question with my own opinion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Greinke in agreement with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DBacks?src=hash">#DBacks</a>, pending physical.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow. That'll be a HUGE number.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Greinke in agreement with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DBacks?src=hash">#DBacks</a>, pending physical.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Crazy, if true. Never thought he'd leave LA. Can't wait to see the price tag.

Wow. That'll be a HUGE number.
Crazy, if true. Never thought he'd leave LA. Can't wait to see the price tag.

The owner there has shown a tendency to authorize expenditures beyond the budget in the past.

He must have been upset when they couldn't land Cueto.

Archived