Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 9/17)

O'Day recorded his 3rd save of the year tonight.

3 up, 3 down, on 14 pitches (10 strikes, 4 balls.)

I like having a primary closer, but not an exclusive closer. I like the notion that every once in a while, somebody besides Britton ought to be capable of coming into a close game and finishing it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

(vs. D-RAYS, 9/17)

O'Day recorded his 3rd save of the year tonight.

3 up, 3 down, on 14 pitches (10 strikes, 4 balls.)

I like having a primary closer, but not an exclusive closer. I like the notion that every once in a while, somebody besides Britton ought to be capable of coming into a close game and finishing it.

I believe that Britton needed a rest. So we have O'Day, OOOOO'DAAAY, OOOOOO'DAAAY, OOOOOOOHHHHH!!! :clap:

Gotta get this guy resigned. :smile11:

From a team building standpoint I just don't see how we can give O'day 3/24 this offseason with our budget. Just like Miller last year. But from a baseball standpoint, the dude is invaluable to us. He comes in with runners on all the time and does well. He's consistent as hell. Because of him Britton rarely has to come in for multi inning saves. Oh he can close to. This season may have gotten real ugly without him. My verdict: Pay that man his money. With our weak rotation, we'll at least be able to root for Givens/Brach to come in and go the 6th/7th, Oday 8 and Britton 9. That's what is needed to prop up the lack of talent in the rotation. Just give us 5.1 and 3ER and let the bullpen come win the game.

His wife works in the DC bureau for Fox. I'm sure that she could go elsewhere, but I have to think that he likes this area. Could he sign with the Nats? Sure. I have to think that there's a decent chance that he resigns.

He would miss you if he left.

o

Dear Mr. O'Day:

The next best thing to making the Baseball Hall-of- Fame is making the Orioles Hall-of-Fame.

If you stick around with the Orioles long enough, you may get in someday.

Think about your (potential) future legacy before deciding to exercise your free agency at the conclusion of the 2015 season.

Sincerely,

Patrick C. .(Oriole Fan From New York)

From a team building standpoint I just don't see how we can give O'day 3/24 this offseason with our budget. Just like Miller last year. But from a baseball standpoint, the dude is invaluable to us. He comes in with runners on all the time and does well. He's consistent as hell. Because of him Britton rarely has to come in for multi inning saves. Oh he can close to. This season may have gotten real ugly without him. My verdict: Pay that man his money. With our weak rotation, we'll at least be able to root for Givens/Brach to come in and go the 6th/7th, Oday 8 and Britton 9. That's what is needed to prop up the lack of talent in the rotation. Just give us 5.1 and 3ER and let the bullpen come win the game.
Here we go with the budget issue. There is a rather involved discussion of the budget issue in the Adam Jones thread, so I won't repeat the arguments about PA's budget here. I agree with you about O'Day and baseball issues. Pay the man his money.

o

Dear Mr. O'Day:

The next best thing to making the Baseball Hall-of- Fame is making the Orioles Hall-of-Fame.

If you stick around with the Orioles long enough, you may get in someday.

Think about your (potential) future legacy before deciding to exercise your free agency at the conclusion of the 2015 season.

Sincerely,

Patrick C. .(Oriole Fan From New York)

AMEN!!!! :clap:

Here we go with the budget issue. There is a rather involved discussion of the budget issue in the Adam Jones thread, so I won't repeat the arguments about PA's budget here. I agree with you about O'Day and baseball issues. Pay the man his money.

If ODAY asks for Kershaw type money, should we give it to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If O'Day asks for Kershaw type money, should we give it to him?

I have serious doubts that anyone is going to give O'Day Kershaw type money. But there is a point between Kershaw money and just letting him walk.

I think that he was portraying an extreme scenario to make a larger point.

And that larger point (in response to your "Here we go with the budget issue" comment) is that unless you are like the Yankees, and for all intents and purposes have a blank checkbook every year, you always have to take into consideration that a GM has to balance the needs of the team with what is realistic within his given budget. ...... whether you are talking about Clayton Kershaw making $32 Million per year, Adam Jones making $16 Million per year, or Darren O'Day making (approximately) $7 or $8 Million per year.

Archived