Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you don't think the Orioles understand the market as well various fan sites to include this board?

Knowing the market and willing to pay the market are two different things. When was the last time the Orioles paid market value for a FA other teams also coveted?

I would give O'Day 4/32m. If your not going to spend on SP, you need a shutdown bp. And O'Day isn't and never was about velocity. So I'd be ok with a 4 year deal.

You know it's funny.

A lot of guys that are not about velocity run into serious trouble when they lose just a couple more miles off their fastball.

Not saying that is going to happen to O'Day anytime soon, but guys without great velocity have to worry about getting older too.

Knowing the market and willing to pay the market are two different things. When was the last time the Orioles paid market value for a FA other teams also coveted?

You said they probably thought 3/21 was competitive. That means, to me, that you think they didn't understand his market.

It has nothing to do with them being willing or able to pay more.

You know it's funny.

A lot of guys that are not about velocity run into serious trouble when they lose just a couple more miles off their fastball.

Not saying that is going to happen to O'Day anytime soon, but guys without great velocity have to worry about getting older too.

When he gets up to 87, he seems most effective. Especial with a tough lefty. Power hitters lay off the slider and wait for him to come inside with that fastball.

You said they probably thought 3/21 was competitive. That means, to me, that you think they didn't understand his market.

No. I am sure you interpreted his comment correctly. And he reinforced that. He said why he would pay more and defended that position. Explaining why the Orioles were mistaken.

They have access to a lot more information then we do.

That being said the Mariners still ended up bidding against themselves for Cano a couple of years ago.

That was Jack. He was an idiot. Plus, Cano wasn't going there for less than a 50 million overpay. He's just going through the motions now.

That was Jack. He was an idiot. Plus, Cano wasn't going there for less than a 50 million overpay. He's just going through the motions now.

Just saying sometimes they do things that look to be stupid, we all say that it's stupid and it does in fact turn out to be stupid.

And then all of us at home can feel good about being smarter then a real GM.

Never said they don't understand the market. I just believe they think O'Day will give them a discount. Like I said, knowing the market and paying it are two different things. They were hopeful to retain both Davis and O'Day, and I believe they were hoping the Buck factor would play a part. Not shocking they seem to be looking for alternatives now.

Never said they don't understand the market. I just believe they think O'Day will give them a discount. Like I said, knowing the market and paying it are two different things. They were hopeful to retain both Davis and O'Day, and I believe they were hoping the Buck factor would play a part. Not shocking they seem to be looking for alternatives now.

You think that they thought that a Union Rep would give them a discount?

Has a Union Rep ever given a discount?

Discounts are bad for the Union.

You think that they thought that a Union Rep would give them a discount?

Has a Union Rep ever given a discount?

Discounts are bad for the Union.

No. They go work for the Union when their playing days are over. It's a good post career for a smart athlete. It's harder to go back and become a Doctor.

Archived