Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nats made big push on o'day. Harper, Werth, remaining zimmerman all called him. Close call for him.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

I have often said that the next best thing to making the Baseball Hall-of-Fame is making the Orioles Hall-of-Fame.

I don't know if that had anything at all to do with O'Day staying with the Orioles, but he surely just increased his chances in terms of longevity alone.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nats made big push on o'day. Harper, Werth, remaining zimmerman all called him. Close call for him.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

Problem is, Paps called as well!

If the Orioles are indeed after Tony Sipp, I just think it means one thing. They are hoping to put together as strong a bullpen as possible for the following reasons:

1. It's the cheapest area in which to get quality

2. They are hoping a deep, strong bullpen will make up for a weak rotation and questionable offense which would both take big bucks to fix.

3. So we'll have the same or slightly higher payroll than last year with a stronger bullpen on paper but weaker rotation and offense.

4. Say your prayers that Machado stays healthy and Schoop and Gausman turn into stars this year.

You forgot Bundy in the prayers. Or maybe you forgot to include the miracle section. But I agree with the rest. Seems like you can build full dominant bullpen for 20 million. That's a major part of the game. 20 million doesn't even buy you an ace or a big time position player anymore.

If the Orioles are indeed after Tony Sipp, I just think it means one thing. They are hoping to put together as strong a bullpen as possible for the following reasons:

1. It's the cheapest area in which to get quality

2. They are hoping a deep, strong bullpen will make up for a weak rotation and questionable offense which would both take big bucks to fix.

3. So we'll have the same or slightly higher payroll than last year with a stronger bullpen on paper but weaker rotation and offense.

4. Say your prayers that Machado stays healthy and Schoop and Gausman turn into stars this year.

I agree, but I also think bullpen use is a strength of Showalter and DD is trying to maximize that strength.

So a young jerk(we all the real word I want to use), a guy whose contract is killing the team, and a player that left. Oh wow they really pulled out the big guns.

We just had Zach Britton on the radio show the other day saying how buck was the best at managing the pen and how he's heard horror stories about others. Basically saying, Don't sign with the gnats and let Dusty Baker ruin your arm.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">����</p>? 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

Person raising both hands in celebration. Medium dark skin tone. Emojis.

Did AJ ever have that meeting with PA he was talking about?

I hope he has a better return than James Jerry Hardy, the last guy I was happy re-signed. :o All indications are he will.

Hardy is going to have a better season in 2016 than he did in 2015 ...... based on the fact that I just said so.

As with Trumbo, I think this move can't really be assessed until we actually know what is going on with payroll. There is a certain amount of smoke that payroll could actually see a bigger increase than usual. But until it really happens there's of course reason for skepticism.

As it is we brought back an excellent player on a deal that has risks but is a fair market value. I'm not complaining. Also, I am less sure of O'Day's coming decline than a lot of people are.

For the people who didn't want to bring back O'Day, do you really think his money was going to a Davis, a Hayward, or a Gallardo? I don't.

I think this is what the team feels comfortable ponying up to a fan favorite, Buck favorite, and effective reliever.

If we had not signed O'day, I have no faith, ZERO, that we would have used that money to sign Hayward, Gallardo, etc. We still would have waited till the market played out and spent our money on whoever was left.

I'm glad to have O'day back. In Buck I trust.

Archived