Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The final details in O'Day's talks with the O's are about language/stipulations. They're working through that, as they work to finish deal.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">December 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette when asked if deal with O'Day will get done: “I don’t really handicap those things, but we’ll see. We’ll see.” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duq: “There was no public comment frm the club & I think Darren’s comments that were public made it clear that there wasnt a deal.” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> still believe a deal will get done, with physical by end of week. Stay tuned <a href="https://t.co/LrspOjGi84">https://t.co/LrspOjGi84</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The final details in O'Day's talks with the O's are about language/stipulations. They're working through that, as they work to finish deal.</p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette when asked if deal with O'Day will get done: ?I don?t really handicap those things, but we?ll see. We?ll see.? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Said deal will probably get done but never know if something happens with the language or stipulations to undue the deal .As someone said,get the champagne but don't pop the cork.

Agreed. Attendance was down, no playoffs equals lost revenue. Payroll even at $130M would represent about an increase of 18% over 2015 opening payroll. My guess is $125, maximum.

Why trade for Trumbo and sign O'Day then? 1B, both corner OF spots and a starting pitcher still needed. Can't do that with a $125M payroll.

I also don't understand trading Britton. This staff even when effective does not go deep into games. Dealing Britton may bring back prospects but it also minimizes a potential strength in an area they have to be good at to win.

I'm sure you know O'Day has his own history of injuries which is largely in part how the Orioles were able to obtain him. His limited duty in 2011 due to an acetabular labrum tear in his left hip and then a shoulder problem pinned him as a waiver candidate.

I'm not sure how 1 injured season out of 8 equals a "history of injuries".

I don't know I like O'Day, but giving the 4th year, REALLY? If the Nats balked why are we giving 4?

JMHO If we do get O'Day we are not getting Davis and starting pitching was more important than O'Day prepared for the dumpster dive for pitching, and corner OF.

I don't know I like O'Day, but giving the 4th year, REALLY? If the Nats balked why are we giving 4?

JMHO If we do get O'Day we are not getting Davis and starting pitching was more important than O'Day prepared for the dumpster dive for pitching, and corner OF.

Sometimes I just feel 14 years had us so beaten down that we can't even be remotely happy. It is still SOOOOO early.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

my guess is that we are saving on AAV by going 4 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the gnats offered 3/27

To this front office, the fourth year doesn't matter, because after the third year Jones, Machado, Duquette, and Showalter will be gone. Duquette and Showalter want a ring by then, the sooner the better. I don't expect to see any long term strategy out of this group. They want to win now.

See, this is a viewpoint I don't quite understand. If the budget doesn't go up and is so tight, why sink the funds into Trumbo/O'Day? I feel like it is more plausible that the purse strings are loosening a bit than the FO blew its wad early on these two guys (and Wieters). If the team were operating under a strict budget, these are not the sort of early moves that would be made I would think...

I think the payroll is increasing. Maybe beyond 140M. I think they are looking in to trading Britton. I heard they are interested in Sipp which would indicate a trade of either Matusz or Britton.

I like Sipp too, a lot. It would necessitate a trade of other assets in the pen - there just isn't room. It wouldn't save the team money but it could bring in a cost controlled LH bat. Or if we're lucky a good young SP.

See, this is a viewpoint I don't quite understand. If the budget doesn't go up and is so tight, why sink the funds into Trumbo/O'Day? I feel like it is more plausible that the purse strings are loosening a bit than the FO blew its wad early on these two guys (and Wieters). If the team were operating under a strict budget, these are not the sort of early moves that would be made I would think...

The O's are protecting themselves against the high prices of Davis and FA starting pitchers. Trumbo gives them leverage with Boras in the Davis negotiation. If they are able to sign Davis they probably think there is a market to trade Trumbo.

If they sign O'Day, and miss on FA starting pitching, they can move Britton the rotation or trade him for a starter.

I think Dan is dealing in who has market value. And who can be moved if necessary.

The O's are protecting themselves against the high prices of Davis and FA starting pitchers. Trumbo gives them leverage with Boras in the Davis negotiation. If they are able to sign Davis they probably think there is a market to trade Trumbo.

If they sign O'Day, and miss on FA starting pitching, they can move Britton the rotation or trade him for a starter.

I think Dan is dealing in who has market value. And who can be moved if necessary.

I think they are looking at Alvarez to back up plan to Davis in regards to a bat.

I wouldn't be surprised if Worley is our #5 or they look to get a LH and than deal one of our starters. The idea of Matusz in the rotation is absurd considering his splits.

I think they are looking at Alvarez to back up plan to Davis in regards to a bat.

I wouldn't be surprised if Worley is our #5 or they look to get a LH and than deal one of our starters. The idea of Matusz in the rotation is absurd considering his splits.

Alvarez could certainly be Plan B if they don't sign Davis. I still think they'll add a starter. If they sign CD, maybe they add Colon or Fister. If they don't sign CD, maybe they move up the food chain a little in search of a pitcher.

Archived