I feel sort of bad for Steve Clevenger

Frobby

Three weeks ago he seemed likely to be the backup catcher for his home-town team, after patiently waiting for his chance and performing pretty well when he got it last last season. Now he's headed 3,000 miles away from home.

On the bright side, Seattle was really anemic at catcher last year (principal catcher Mike Zunino had a .530 OPS, backup Jesus Sucre was at .424), so Clevenger should have an excellent chance not only to make the team, but to play a decent amount.

Good luck to him, he seemed like a good guy.

By the way, Roch said that when he contacted Clevenger, he hadn't been notified of the trade. I realize it's not official, but it still seems like players shouldn't be hearing they've been traded from the media before they hear it from the team.

Three weeks ago he seemed likely to be the backup catcher for his home-town team, after patiently waiting for his chance and performing pretty well when he got it last last season. Now he's headed 3,000 miles away from home.

On the bright side, Seattle was really anemic at catcher last year (principal catcher Mike Zunino had a .530 OPS, backp Jesus Sucre was at .424), so Clevenger should have an excellent chance not only to make the team, but to play a decent amount.

I think Steve will do fine. Plus he gets to play with Nelson. Glad we were able to get some good value from him.

Yeah, Steve is in a tough spot. That said, I would think most players would prefer regularly playing time to playing for the hometown team or winning. I hope he has a long, successful career and I would love to see him in an Orioles uniform again down the road. I'm sure he will get hearty ovations from the Camden Yards faithful when the Mariners are in town next year.

On the bright side, Seattle was really anemic at catcher last year (principal catcher Mike Zunino had a .530 OPS, backup Jesus Sucre was at .424), so Clevenger should have an excellent chance not only to make the team, but to play a decent amount.

By the way, Roch said that when he contacted Clevenger, he hadn't been notified of the trade. I realize it's not official, but it still seems like players shouldn't be hearing they've been traded from the media before they hear it from the team.

The Ms signed Ianetta to be their catcher. He is a Dipoto guy from Anaheim. Seems Clevenger will still be the back up there.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He did get kind of a raw deal here though, I agree. But when you can't defend as the backup catcher, Buck ain't getting your back. Also his agent is mouthy I found that extremely annoying/unprofessional.

But I liked Steve's bat, and he got some big hits for us. Here's hoping he lights it up in Seattle.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">all my clients keep getting traded. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HotStoveSeason?src=hash">#HotStoveSeason</a></p>— Joshua Kusnick (@JoshuaKusnick) <a href="

">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Steve seems like a nice guy. He was extremely nice to me when I met and talked to him in Pittsburgh. He just wants his chance and now he gets it. I don't think that distance really matters a whole lot to these guys, because they go into this knowing that they could be playing X amount of miles from home.

I think Steve's bat will play up there even more. He wasn't a power guy, more of a line drive hitter. So Seattle with it's huge OF is ideal for him.

I do agree that Buck gave him a raw deal here. Put him in the doghouse for 1.5 years over saying he should be batting higher in the order. Well Steve was right.

MW accepting the QO pretty much did this to him. He was going to have to compete with Parades for a 25 man spot. At least we got something for him. I won't be the least be surprised if he goes there and hits around .300.

Good luck to him, I hope he doesn't beat us with his bat in coming seasons.

Archived