6 Predictions for the Winter Meetings: #2: Orioles sign Jason Heyward

Mayor McCheese

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how much have you actually seen of Heyward? Couple hundred games? You also follow the Braves maybe?

Sounds like you've seen much more of him then I did....who do you value more Heyward or Machado....power or speen given they are both good defensive players?

Sounds like you've seen much more of him then I did....who do you value more Heyward or Machado....power or speen given they are both good defensive players?

I'd rather have Machado because I think he can play shortstop at a high level. The idea of maybe extending Machado someday should not preclude the team from pursuing Heyward.

I do think expectations are a bit high for Machado with respect to power next season. I think he will take a small step back.

I'd rather have Machado because I think he can play shortstop at a high level. The idea of maybe extending Machado someday should not preclude the team from pursuing Heyward.

I do think expectations are a bit high for Machado with respect to power next season. I think he will take a small step back.

I agree that he may but he'll still double up Heyward...

I Googled it and my browser laughed.

I'm surprised it didn't cause a stern-looking Mark Zuckerberg to show up at your door and slap you in the mouth. Which, of course, would precede by moments his newfound conviction that humanity can't be saved, at which point he would forever abandon his philanthropic intentions, instead choosing to invest heavily in semi-professional wrestling, tallboys, and his performance art centered Twitch channel.

In other words, way to blow it for everyone, man.

So how much have you actually seen of Heyward? Couple hundred games? You also follow the Braves maybe?

As someone who has watched nearly all the games Jason played in with Atlanta I'd like to share a few observations. Heyward is indeed an exceptional young player, but I have a number of very real concerns that convinced me that the Braves did the right thing in not pursuing a big money, long term contract with him.

While he is still young as free agents go he just finished his 6th full season in the bigs and was already a full grown (BIG) man when he entered the majors. He also seemed mature for his age from day one, so his growth as a player was mainly about learning to make the adjustments. After 5 years with the Braves his numbers, tho not bad, seemed to stay about the same and the awesome power he showed as a 20 year old disappeared for the most part.

My biggest concern with Heyward is his size. At 6' 5" and 250 lbs. and with his wide open approach to the game he has already spent a lot of time banged up from the diving catches, head first slides, and collisions with other fielders. I can count on one hand the number players his size that had long careers playing his brand of baseball.

His biggest assets are his speed and outfield range. Two things that could diminish quickly from age and injury for a man his size, and although he is only approaching 27 he has put a lot of wear on that body over the past 6 seasons.

That being said I would love to see the O's sign him to a back loaded deal with an out clause. If he could bring the HRs back to the 20-25 range playing at The Yard, and keep his OBP over .350 he would still be an asset if his speed did decline some over time.

Archived